No announcement yet.

Price controls on college textbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But the university and the profs just aren't sensitive to the expense because it's the students who pay for them. That's the problem. I've got a lot of experience as a student. I've got about 300 semester units. Gradually I've seen that the updates in new additions more and more don't justify making students buy new additions. On top of that they add on costs for these digital things that students really don't need or even want.
    That's a problem, yeah.

There is also a clear Arts non-Arts discrimination here.

An Arts major can usually find his books cheaper elsewhere, or even just borrow in class, saving hundreds of dollars over university rapage.

But the sciences major is in a less enviable position. Often, for something like Biology, you actually do need the latest edition.
    The counterpoint is that often a science class requires a single textbook. Sure, it might cost $75. Meanwhile, my History class requires more than 10 books. They're smaller, they're available used, and the cost... $8-$12 each. Do the math.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The sad thing is most of those text books have basically been out for 20-30 years with just minor edits. Every 2-3 years they come out with a new edition which amounts to randomizing a few numbers on problems (now done electronically so it requires no work or effort by the publisher) and they exchange chapter 4 with chapter 3.

The purpose of this is simple. They're trying to stay ahead of the used book market where people can buy the same book at 1/4 the price.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Text books, of course, cost so much because there is only a limited selling pool. They are only selling to students (non-students are not really going to even THINK about buying a textbook on something). Since the quantity of potential buyers is so low, they jack up the price so they can make some money.

The onus has to be on the professors, IMO.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

i'm not a student, and I would actually buy text books if they weren't so damn expensive
          Monkey!!!

Comment

You have issues.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

yup
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I had an english class where the teacher kept taking off points on my quiz just because I didn't have a book with me. We were supposed to have a Norton, but I just read everything in there online.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

It costs a lot of money to get experts in the field to sit down and write textbooks that have limited circulation. That's why they're expensive.

Putting price controls on them will likely just reduce the number of quality experts taking the time to write the books, which would detriment education across the country.

I say, go for it.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    It costs a lot of money to get experts in the field to sit down and write textbooks that have limited circulation. That's why they're expensive.

Putting price controls on them will likely just reduce the number of quality experts taking the time to write the books, which would detriment education across the country.

I say, go for it.
                    Why do we need multiple experts all writing their own textbooks? We really only need one in each field. Whether or not we can manage it is a different question.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      The onus has to be on the professors, IMO.
                      That's the current problem. Not the solution. The profs want total quality, and aren't sensitive to price. We need some controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                        Why do we need multiple experts all writing their own textbooks? We really only need one in each field.
                        Yeah! Because there is only one answer and one theory and one opinion in advanced study of the field!

One True AnswerTM.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                          Why do we need multiple experts all writing their own textbooks? We really only need one in each field. Whether or not we can manage it is a different question.
                          Everyone doesn't agree with the same experts, though.

Comment

Around my school, lots of people use editions of textbooks intended for the Asian market.

Professors definitely have a role; the professors I've had who really knew what they were doing didn't assign any textbooks for the class.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              Everyone doesn't agree with the same experts, though.
                              Does that really matter though? If they don't agree let them say that in their lectures.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Yeah! Because there is only one answer and one theory and one opinion in advanced study of the field!

One True AnswerTM.

No one said anything about not teaching all the theories. Generally, all of the textbooks are inclusive of all the theories.

Comment

Working...
                                X