Gestalt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gestalt question

Well, it has been a while since I've been to Poly. Last time was probably for that collar popping net prank thing that never went anywhere.

Anyhoo,

I was in my General Psych class (Bipolar has made it to college now) and because the teacher is an incompetent social worker who is only used to teaching part time we get the option of studying perception.

I was skimming the chapter reviewing all of my favorite aspects of Gestalt when something hit me.

It is rather far fetched, but I found it fascinating.

The thought came that, do some of these principles carry over into other aspects of human thought, like logic, philosophy, and the like.

I askedthe teacher and she said yes but I don't trust her so I decided to go a rung higher on the ladder of reliability and ask the internet.

Here is a wiki link for those of you not in the know.

Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

So I can see how something like the Principle of common region could overlap into religious beliefs. In that there are some beliefs that seem to be present throughout all of the major religions, yet people fail to see these. Though this is more likely related to ignorance.

The Principle of Closure fascinates me as related to how we would go about thinking about something like philosophy
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Gestalt psychology (also Gestalt theory of the Berlin School) is a theory of mind and brain that proposes that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies. The classic Gestalt example is a soap bubble, whose spherical shape (its Gestalt) is not defined by a rigid template, or a mathematical formula, but rather it emerges spontaneously by the parallel action of surface tension acting at all points in the surface simultaneously. This is in contrast to the "atomistic" principle of operation of the digital computer, where every computation is broken down into a sequence of simple steps, each of which is computed independently of the problem as a whole. The Gestalt effect refers to the form-forming capability of our senses, particularly with respect to the visual recognition of figures and whole forms instead of just a collection of simple lines and curves.
      I don't get it.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

That soap bubble analogy is really crappy. There's nothing mysterious about a soap bubble. Each point on its surface does obey a simple mathematical formula, just as each step in a computer program is very simple. The result of a number of such simple operations is complexity, both in a computer program and a soap bubble.

Psychologists trying to make physical analogies when they don't understand physics
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Physics
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

bad analogies are like poorly thoughtout similes...
            Monkey!!!

Comment

That is a really dumb analogy.

Comment

so what is gestalt?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

1 + 1 does not necessarily equal 2, definately nothing less than 2, but usually something more than 2.

It basicly says that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

In reality it's bull****, used for "alternate" types of medicine, hokey commune thinking, and is usually used as a bad excuse for communist revolutions. You know, make the people think you know what you're talking about, with metaphors.

Comment

Working...
                  X