Cars and accelerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars and accelerator

my girlfriend had a problem with his car tonight.
    ===

She was on highway, she was preparing to stop at a light. She was able to brake, but as soon as she release the brake, the car accelerated even if she was not having his feet on the accelerator.

By two times the car made this.

Is this possible? or she is crazy?

thanks
    bleh

what kind of car?

you're welcome

Comment

Ford Contour 1997!!
      bleh

Comment

There's a spring thingie that pulls the accelerator back up when your foot releases the pedal. Sounds like your spring thingie is broken.

It happened to me once....very scary.

Comment

I had the same problem with a mid 80's Corsica. Computer module responsible for injection had taken water and was ****ed up. I'd take it to a Ford dealership for a diagnostic. I doubt an independent has the tools to analyze that specific problem. Unfortunately for her purse.
          What?

Comment

Thanks!

She never had any car accident. But for two days, she dont have any car insurance, (since she switched the company).

But today, she was close to hit the back of a BMW!!!!

Another one, ever experienced this, or know why the car did this.

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            There's a spring thingie that pulls the accelerator back up when your foot releases the pedal. Sounds like your spring thingie is broken.

It happened to me once....very scary.
            bleh

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
              Ford Contour 1997!!
              Buy American. Except when it comes to cars.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Smiley
                bleh

Comment

Re: Cars and accelerator

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                  my girlfriend had a problem with his car tonight
                  We accord the possessive with the object in English, not the subject.

*This post is payback for 6 years of French immersion and 6 years additional years of bilingual education spent being berated for ****ty grammar
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

@KrazyHorse:
                    "my girlfriend had a problem with her car tonight"

Better this way?
                    bleh

Comment

yup.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

See I was wondering if it was me or if the girlfriend was just a bit gender confused?
                        Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                        Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                        You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

the only thing I can find is a faulty accelerator cable. But I dont know how the cable could be the problem if the car is accelerating from a dead stop at idle. Did she hit the gas and it stuck or did it accerate from a stopped position all by itself?

edit

She was on highway, she was preparing to stop at a light. She was able to brake, but as soon as she release the brake, the car accelerated even if she was not having his feet on the accelerator.
                          Okay, its possible the cable hung up as she was slowing down so the RPMs stayed up as she braked, once she released the brake the high idle propelled her forward faster than normal. Was she having to fight the accelerator with the brake as she slowed down? This does sound like a faulty cable, I had a '77 Jaguar with a Chevy 350 in it and the accerator stuck on me a couple times. All you can do is quickly hit the brake and shift into neutral and turn the engine off if it revs too high. Pushing on the gas, when safe , should get rid of the problem temporarily as you "lift" the cable off the snag. But it will likely get hung up again, so replacing the cable is a good idea. Ironically, hitting the gas harder should unsnag the cable, but I wouldn't do that with another car if front of me.

If you want to impress her with your mechanical prowess, take the air cleaner off and look for the accelerator cable and attachment near the carb or fuel injectors and the center of the motor. Find that cable and look at it for fraying or burrs and look for possible burrs along the cable path. You can manually operate the cable from there so hit the gas and watch to see what the cable is close to rubbing against. Just think of a string going thru a loop, the string can snag on the loop. Thats basically whats going on.
                          Last edited by Berzerker; February 2, 2006, 00:06.

Comment

is the car an auto or manual (stick shift). It would amuse if your girlfriend was driving an automatic car....
                            "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                            "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

thanks for your reply guys!
                              bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X