Oscar Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Thread

Surprised no one has started one yet. Looks like a big year for Films Nobody Saw. The major nominations, from IMDB:

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Crash, Good Night, and Good Luck, and Munich

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote), Heath Ledger (Brokeback Mountain), Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line), David Strathairn (Good Night, and Good Luck) and Terrence Howard (Hustle & Flow)

Best Actress: Felicity Huffman (Transamerica), Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line), Charlize Theron (North Country), Judi Dench (Mrs. Henderson Presents) and Keira Knightley (Pride & Prejudice)

Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti (Cinderella Man), George Clooney (Syriana), Matt Dillon (Crash), Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain) and William Hurt (A History of Violence)

Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz (The Constant Gardener), Amy Adams (Junebug), Catherine Keener (Capote), Frances McDormand (North Country) and Michelle Williams (Brokeback Mountain)

Best Director: Paul Haggis (Crash), Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain), Bennett Miller (Capote), George Clooney (Good Night, and Good Luck) and Steven Spielberg (Munich)

Best Original Screenplay: Crash, Good Night, and Good Luck, Match Point, The Squid and the Whale, and Syriana

Best Adapted Screenplay Brokeback Mountain, Capote, The Constant Gardener, A History of Violence and Munich.
    In spite of being a huge movie buff, I have no opinion on any of this, because I've seen exactly one movie on the list -- Constant Gardener. My defense is that nothing else on the list has come to Manila (except for Cinderella Man, which came and went while I was out of town, and History of Violence, which came and went in the blink of an eye). I am somewhat taken aback by the fact that Crash, a film I've only dimly heard of, is now #71 on the imdb top 250.

So, anyone else want to start handicapping the race? Or, alternatively, rant about what got snubbed?
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

It'll probably be Brokeback Mountain's coming out party (pun intended ). They'll probably win the big awards (movie, director). I'd say Hoffman wins for Capote (I've heard great things) and Witherspoon wins for Actress.

For the supportings, it's a bit more difficult, but Clooney and Weisz are my choices, though Giamatti may win for being snubbed for so long.

Original Screeny? Wouldn't be surprised if Allen took it home for Match Point, but it's got BIG competition from Good Night and Good Luck and The Squid and the Whale.

Adapted? Probably Brokeback, but Constant Gardener may surprise.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

yeah I haven't seen any of these movies, but I do want to see Crash. I keep meaning to rent that... I also want to see Syrianna still, and maybe Munich.

Comment

I liked Syrianna

I would sort of like to see Munich

I think Serenity was robbed...

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          I liked Syrianna

I would sort of like to see Munich

I think Serenity was robbed...

JM
          Serenity robbed

There's a right Schindler's List there .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Wow. Of all those movies there, I've only seen Crash and Syriana...heh
            Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

I've only seen Crash and Geisha. It's been a pretty bad year for movies overall. In previous years there were enough popular big movies to push the good little movies into DVD. This year it seems as though there is very little available on DVD, and I only go to the theatre for those big special effects type pictures if I can help it. So I haven't seen many of these films and won't for some time it seems.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I pretty much agree with what Imran said, and the most interesting thing about this year is that no one seems to have seen those movies.

Maybe some members of the Academy are trying to warn the studio sharks: "hey, give us some real movies, enough of this FX plastic orgy!".
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Brokeback Mountain

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Felicity Huffman

George Clooney

Michelle Williams

Ang Lee

Crash

Brokeback Mountain
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                  X