Hip surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip surgery

My mom is being admitted tomorrow to undergo a hip joint replacement on Thursday. She has severe osteoarthritis in her right hip, which has limited mobility and caused heavy pain for nearly a year.

10 years ago, she had the same procedure performed on her left hip, the insertion of an artificial joint at the tip of the thigh bone, and surgical re-modelling of the hip joint.

It was pretty amazing to see how quickly she was back to her old vigour and activity level following the first surgery. It's times like this you realise how impressive it is what medical professionals can do.

I'm a little concerned of course, since my mom is now 10 years older, she's 73. She's really looking forward to getting rid of the pain, and has a very positive attitude about the whole thing. I just hope they give her full anesthesia this time; last time she got a neuraxial blockade which left her awake during the 2 hour long procedure, and towards the end it started to lift, which was not too pleasant. I would prefer it if she was fully under, but the doctors deemed it safer for her to get the blockade.

Longish post, but the bottom line is I'm full of admiration for the medical expertise which allows so many people to be able to lead a better life after having suffered pain and loss of basic functions such as my mom.

Replacement surgery, even prosthetics , has come a very long way. Many surgeries once considered daunting are now common.

You are all in my thoughts. My mom will see 75 in April, God willing.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Thanks, Sloww.

We need to look after our moms as best we can. Unlike the worn-down joints, they're irreplaceable!

Comment

My mother is gone already (died at 59). It's good to see you guys taking such good care of yours. Good luck to your mother Winston.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I'm glad there is something that can be done for her bone problems. Some bone diseases are really a biatch. Good luck to her
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

My understanding is that there are good reasons why they avoid full anasthetic for an older patient when they can.

best of luck to your mom
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

My grandpa had hip replacement surgery. "Titanium," he told me, "Stronger than bone. Now I'm like Bryant Young (plays for the 49ers)"

He's an old bastard.

After he got the hip he was told to take it easy for 4 months. He had to have it replaced after 3 because he didn't take it easy. Don't ask me how he threw it out but he was with his gf at the time... Yes, that's right, even my fake hip having 80 yo grandpa has a gf...

Anyway, he's still kicking... more so because he likes hurting us.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Good luck to your Mom. This sort of surgery has come a long way.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Thanks for the kind wishes. I just spoke to her briefly on the phone, she's all set for the procedure tomorrow morning, and in good spirits. Though I sensed some amount of nervousness as to how she would manage it all, I can't say I blame her. But she's in good hands now, that's the important thing to try and remember.

Comment

Be sure and tell her she's thought of around the world.
                    to her.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

good luck
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I was hoping this was about trendy surgery ...

Anyway, my grandma underwent a double hip joint replacement a couple of years ago - it went without any trouble

Best wishes to your mom. Even if she gave rise to you.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

gave rise to you?

that sounds bad
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

As it turned out, it actually was kind of a "hip" surgery.

It all went very well, and my mom had no worries of any kind when I spoke to her just now. She was so happy that it was over, and very content with "all the nice people" around her.

The surgery took 2½ hours this morning, and she had a neuraxial blockade like last time, but unlike then, there were no complications this time. Just the terrifying sounds of the heavy equipment they used at some points ( ), but she was given a sedative so it was not too bad.

She will probably be up and walking with support tomorrow (!), and they will keep her for 10 days for re-training. And by the way, she will have a re-operation on her left hip, which is scheduled in 3 months time.

My sister will be there to visit with her until Saturday, and I'll check in on her at the start of next week.

Comment

Not to persist in talking about this, but just to show my amazement at how smoothly it went.

My mom's coming home tomorrow at noon, after having had her hip replaced last Thursday!

Just talked to her, and there's been no complications at all. She's been training, walking on stairs - and a couple of times she even got to the bathroom before realising she'd forgotten the crutches!

She's 73 years old, and skipping about the place like there never was any problem with her hip.

She will have the bandage replaced for the first time (!) tomorrow before going home, and of course she will have supervision from the local health-care-thingy.

Looking forward to visiting with her tomorrow, and until Friday. Hope I won't get blown up by a bomb while on the train.

Comment

Working...
                              X