Avril's Management Company Challenges File-Sharing Lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avril's Management Company Challenges File-Sharing Lawsuit

Not quite as cut and dried as RIAA would have you think.

Canada-based artist label and management company Nettwerk Music Group has joined the fight against the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on behalf of consumers who wish to download music.

The RIAA has targeted approximately 16,000 individual file-sharers, and studies seem to reveal that the lawsuits have encouraged a decline in illegal downloading. Nettwerk's involvement, however, is indicative of a rift within the industry over the wisdom of criminalizing music consumers.

"Suing music fans is not the solution, it's the problem," said Nettwerk CEO Terry McBride. McBride and Nettwerk have come to the defense of David Greubel, who is accused of having 600 suspected music files on his family computer. The RIAA is targeting nine specific songs, including "Sk8er Boi" by Arista artist and Nettwerk client Avril Lavigne. The RIAA has demanded Greubel pay a $9,000 stipulated judgment as a penalty.

Nettwerk Music Group has agreed to pay all legal fees for Greubel, as well as any fines should the family lose the case against the RIAA. Chicago-based Mudd Law Offices will take on the legal battle. Charles Lee Mudd Jr. has represented individuals subpoenaed and sued by the RIAA since the suits began in late summer 2003.

"Since 2003 the RIAA has continually misused the court and legal system, engaging in misguided litigation tactics for the purpose of extorting settlement amounts from everyday people -- parents, students, doctors, and general consumers of music," Mudd said.

The RIAA issued a statement saying, "Stealing another person's property is theft, it's against the law and breaking the law must carry consequences or no one will think twice. Theft undermines the ability of music companines to invest in the new bands of tomorrow and deprives labels, songwriters and musicians of their hard-earned royalties."

-- The ARTISTdirect Staff

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Downloading music isn't theft.

I'm glad someone is standing up to the real thieves
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

This sh*t just strengthens my resolve that I am not going to buy another CD until they remove this copy protection nonsense which means I cannot play music on the CD player of my choice.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but if Avril Lavigne's label are opposed to this then why are the RIAA able to sue someone for downloading one of her songs?
        LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

The probable answer is that they don't hold the rights over the songs, but that a major does.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Theft undermines the ability of music companines to invest in the new bands of tomorrow and deprives labels, songwriters and musicians of their hard-earned royalties
                should read

A recording industries inability to keep up with changing technology and "the times" undermines the ability of music companines to invest in the new bands of tomorrow and deprives labels, songwriters and musicians of their hard-earned royalties
                Not to mention that Sony, which IS a record label, is also the same people who make the burners and CDRs that make this "illegal" activity so easy to accomplish. I liken it to robbing my house, giving what I "take" to the people down in the Wal*Mart parking lot, and then suing them for taking it.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

meh....

I fully support a small recording media tax, to be distributed to the artists involved, based on download numbers. However this **** is ****ing annoying.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                  X