Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Making a Win95 PC work with a USB joystick

Just what the title says, guys.

I was the lucky recipient of a dumpster special the other day - a surprisingly nice computer left at the trash chute by a previous owner. I booted it up and found to my delight that it ran Windows 95!

I'm now running lots of forgotten games on it, like Fallout, and Eye of the Beholder, and Civ2, and the LucasArts space flight sim games.

Which brings me to the next point.

LucasArts' space flight sim games install fine on the computer, but the computer won't recognize my joystick. The joystick is a Kensington Gravis Destroyer Extreme, and it was bought in about 2002/3, which would probably be quite a few years after this computer was originally sold.

When I go into Add New Hardware, and then Game Controllers, it only looks for the old COM port, not the USB port.

Is there any way I can get the Win95 OS to check out the USB port?

(I have sent a consultation email to the makers of the joystick, and will probably hear back from them re: a replacement driver download soon.)
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

You've become white trash, Ali.

Nice find, though.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Windows 95 does not support USB.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

HAW HAW

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          Windows 95 OSR2 has some support for USB devices, but not all. It might be possible to patch your current version.

Else, get Windows 98... not hard to find.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
            You've become white trash, Ali.

Nice find, though.
            Heh - I don't think I need white trash genes to become a scavenger and "urban recycler"... the Chinese genes in me will take care of that already!

WRT your sig, I went back to Beijing in October and there was nary a speck of soil to be found. Plenty of dust and construction materials, but I think they've paved over most anything organic.

So...

Windows 95 doesn't support USB eh? Well, that's a shame. I guess I'll have to go with a Win98 machine then. So far I have four functional computers in my apartment (of which I only actually bought one - and that second hand) but they're all Win95 or Win2k. This includes the "Toaster" laptop that I got after a friend ordered a toaster online and received a laptop in the mail instead which he didn't know how to crack.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
              Heh - I don't think I need white trash genes to become a scavenger and "urban recycler"... the Chinese genes in me will take care of that already!
              My mom does that too. She has me hauling in large used furniture if she finds something useful.

This includes the "Toaster" laptop that I got after a friend ordered a toaster online and received a laptop in the mail instead which he didn't know how to crack.
              He could have sold it and bought ten toasters.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I have an old COM port joystick that I can't use on my current machine, want to swap?
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Re: Help: Making a Win95 PC work with a USB joystick

I'm now running lots of forgotten games on it, like Fallout, and Eye of the Beholder, and Civ2, and the LucasArts space flight sim games.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    IIRC, one of the later versions had limited support of it. Still, it's probably just smarter to get Win98.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                      Windows 95 OSR2 has some support for USB devices, but not all. It might be possible to patch your current version.

No patching, you have to do a full install.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                      X