Year of the Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one possible story:

All the animals lined up on the bank of a river and were given the task of getting to the opposite shore. Their order in the calendar would be set by the order in which the animals managed to reach the other side. The cat wondered how he would get across if he was afraid of water. At the same time, the ox wondered how he would cross with his poor eyesight. The calculating rat suggested that he and the cat jump onto the ox's back and guide him across. The ox was steady and hard-working so that he did not notice the commotion on his back. In the meanwhile, the rat snuck up behind the unsuspecting cat and shoved him into the water. Just as the ox came ashore, the rat jumped off and finished the race first. The lazy pig came to the far shore in twelfth place. And so, the rat got the first year named after him, the ox got the second year, and the pig ended up as the last year in the cycle. The cat finished too late (thirteenth) to win any place in the calendar, and vowed to be the enemy of the rat forevermore.
    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

And the dragon had roast pig for dinner??

Comment

hey adam, they look adorable. when did you adopt? there are a lot of programs around where i am (boston) for adoptees and Asian American students to get together (kinda like a big bro/big sis thing) because some of the parents want to bring the kids up with a sense of that. it's a cute program. anyway, that's off-topic, how long have they been a part of your family? are they siblings themselves? do they talk about you in mandarin in hopes that you don't understand?
        Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

From his posts he must understand at least a little Chinese.
          "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
          Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

No...I think his daughters are little Chinese ...and oh so adorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer
              From his posts he must understand at least a little Chinese.
              shi, ke shi ta dong hao duo hai shi jiu zhi dao yi dianr a?

Comment

It's spelt Gon Xi Fa Cai
                be free

Comment

Axxaer, Mao:

Wo wei (sp?) shou yi dianr Zhongguo hua.

Grace Qiuyun (L, 10) came home in February, 1996.
                  Claire Wenju (R, 8) came home July, 1998.
                  Both were six months old at the time.
                  Both are from Changzhou, Jiangsu Province, about half way between Shanghai and Nanjing.
                  After a couple years of Chinese School both can speak about as much Mandarin as I can.
                  While not siblings originally, they are now
                  If they want to talk behind my back they try Pig Latin and think they are being cute.
                  Thanks for the tip on the program. We have been looking for someone who might be able to tutor a bit.
                  Old posters never die.
                  They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                    Wo hui shuo yi dianr Zhongguo hua.
                    Fixed, assuming you meant "I can speak a little Chinese". Also I'm not sure if "Zhongguo hua" is actually incorrect but I would say "Hanyu" instead.

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Mao,

Ni shi cong nar lai de?

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Happy Vietnamese New Year!
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Happy Solnal!

Saehae mani pajusaeyo!
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer
                            Mao,

Ni shi cong nar lai de?
                            wo? cai yi cai

Adam, you want a tutor huh? Well, *I* need a job, I think you guys should all relocate to Oxford for a few months and I can tutor your kids for reasonable prices.

Comment

Adam, your daughters are so cute!

Zhu ni he ni de jiating xin nian kuai le!
                              Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

This pinyin is tough

We had fireworks yesterday evening
                                Attached Files
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X