• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb females.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I fail to see what this has to do with conservatism being dumb.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        I'd like to see this study done with the race card being played

would someone be more likely to believe or side with someone of the same color even if what they are siding with them about isn't entirely what they are about?
        Would this mean I'm expected to side with Cal?
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Japher probably had non-whites in mind.

Comment

I see.

So you think a study, proving Conservatives and Liberals react equally, will prove that whites and non-whites react unequally?
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I don't get this article...

an MRI doesn't measure brain activity... it only gives a picture of what the brain looks like... for instance, if there is an injury or if there is tumor or something. It won't measure the kind of activity they are talking about in this article.

The kind of scan you would need to get is a high resolution PET scan... or a spec scan... where they inject you with a radioactive substance.

In either case, you need to sit very still in the machine for a while... I don't see how you can be sitting there arguing politics.

This whole thing smells like bull**** to me.

I'd like to read the actual literature, not just the NYTimes article...

but a regular MRI cannot do what is describe in the article...

btw, I've had all of these types of tests done... also, an EEG...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

@Sava
                "MRI scans require patients to hold very still for extended periods of time. MRI exams can range in length from 20 minutes to 90 minutes or more. Even very slight movement of the part being scanned can cause very distorted images that will have to be repeated. "

You're right.... I'd like to read the original text. I"ll do some search on the internet, but no now, I'm at work.

An MRI scan is the best way to see inside the human body without cutting it open, but that may be little comfort to you when you're getting ready for the exam. Lying perfectly still on a tiny slab in a narrow hole, you might wonder what's happening to your body.

Disadvantages
                Although MRI scans are ideal for diagnosing and evaluating a number of conditions, it does have drawbacks. For example:
                There are many people who cannot safely be scanned with MRI (for example, because they have pacemakers), and also people who are too big to be scanned.

There are many claustrophobic people in the world, and being in an MRI machine can be a very disconcerting experience for them.

The machine makes a tremendous amount of noise during a scan. The noise sounds like a continual, rapid hammering. Patients are given earplugs or stereo headphones to muffle the noise (in most MRI centers you can even bring your own cassette or CD to listen to). The noise is due to the rising electrical current in the wires of the gradient magnets being opposed by the main magnetic field. The stronger the main field, the louder the gradient noise.

MRI scans require patients to hold very still for extended periods of time. MRI exams can range in length from 20 minutes to 90 minutes or more. Even very slight movement of the part being scanned can cause very distorted images that will have to be repeated.

Orthopedic hardware (screws, plates, artificial joints) in the area of a scan can cause severe artifacts (distortions) on the images. The hardware causes a significant alteration in the main magnetic field. Remember, a uniform field is critical to good imaging.

MRI systems are very, very expensive to purchase, and therefore the exams are also very expensive.
                bleh

Comment

I call bullsh*t too...when did someone last have a heated political debate with their head buried in an MRI scanner
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

yeah, the MRI scan is loud... I had to wear earplugs

you can't hear anything other than:

BANG BANG BANG CRACK CRACK CRACK

plus, you can't even see the person because you are in the tube... and your head is immobilized...

and that goes on for like a half hour

and supposedly they were talking about politics during an MRI?

bull****
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      I call bullsh*t too...when did someone last have a heated political debate with their head buried in an MRI scanner

Comment

from the article:

Also, a spike appeared in several areas known to be active when people feel relieved or rewarded
                        MRI's are not like graphs... they don't have "spikes"

this is what an MRI result looks like... it is just a photograph of what the brain looks like... it just shows the actual physical structure... IT DOES NOT MEASURE ACTIVITY!!!
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Parisian Thought Is Unconscious
                          Hmmm...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

the only time you will have a "SPIKE" in an MRI brain scan is if I take one and JAM IT INTO YOUR SKULL

then we can scan your head and see the spike lodged in your head...

stupid bull**** article
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                              I see.

So you think a study, proving Conservatives and Liberals react equally, will prove that whites and non-whites react unequally?
                              I think non-whites tend to vote in blocs, yes. At least, that seems to be the case in the U.S.

Comment

Interesting study, utterly worthless and uninteresting discussions.

Oh, and there seems to be a high level of misunderstanding here, no surprise.

It seems the article is making a rather simple point- individuals heavily vested in an opinion react to arguements about that opinion emotionally, not rationally. They will discount information and data that is negeative to their opinion and will focus on that which is positive. That seems rather obvious just looking here in Poly.

The race discussion here, is, well...asenine and unbelievably stupid.

And partisan in this case means the same as in any case or country.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X