X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partisan Thought Is Unconscious

A Shocker: Partisan Thought Is Unconscious
    By BENEDICT CAREY

Liberals and conservatives can become equally bug-eyed and irrational when talking politics, especially when they are on the defensive.

Using M.R.I. scanners, neuroscientists have now tracked what happens in the politically partisan brain when it tries to digest damning facts about favored candidates or criticisms of them. The process is almost entirely emotional and unconscious, the researchers report, and there are flares of activity in the brain's pleasure centers when unwelcome information is being rejected.

"Everything we know about cognition suggests that, when faced with a contradiction, we use the rational regions of our brain to think about it, but that was not the case here," said Dr. Drew Westen, a psychologist at Emory and lead author of the study, to be presented Saturday at meetings of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology in Palm Springs, Calif.

The results are the latest from brain imaging studies that provide a neural explanation for internal states, like infatuation or ambivalence, and a graphic trace of the brain's activity.

In 2004, the researchers recruited 30 adult men who described themselves as committed Republicans or Democrats. The men, half of them supporters of President Bush and the other half backers of Senator John Kerry, earned $50 to sit in an M.R.I. machine and consider several statements in quick succession.

The first was a quote attributed to one of the two candidates: either a remark by Mr. Bush in support of Kenneth L. Lay, the former Enron chief, before he was indicted, or a statement by Mr. Kerry that Social Security should be overhauled. Moments later, the participants read a remark that showed the candidate reversing his position. The quotes were doctored for maximum effect but presented as factual.

The Republicans in the study judged Mr. Kerry as harshly as the Democrats judged Mr. Bush. But each group let its own candidate off the hook.

After the participants read the contradictory comment, the researchers measured increased activity in several areas of the brain. They included a region involved in regulating negative emotions and another called the cingulate, which activates when the brain makes judgments about forgiveness, among other things. Also, a spike appeared in several areas known to be active when people feel relieved or rewarded. The "cold reasoning" regions of the cortex were relatively quiet.

Researchers have long known that political decisions are strongly influenced by unconscious emotional reactions, a fact routinely exploited by campaign consultants and advertisers. But the new research suggests that for partisans, political thinking is often predominantly emotional.

It is possible to override these biases, Dr. Westen said, "but you have to engage in ruthless self reflection, to say, 'All right, I know what I want to believe, but I have to be honest.' "

He added, "It speaks to the character of the discourse that this quality is rarely talked about in politics."

I don't really consider this to be much of a shocker, but it is interesting to hear about the results of the MRI scans.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

I expected you to argue that Black people where more affected
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

No, just leftists.

Comment

is there a difference?
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Not really.

Comment

I'd like to see this study done with the race card being played

would someone be more likely to believe or side with someone of the same color even if what they are siding with them about isn't entirely what they are about?

I think a lot of black ppl are dems because they fill that they are required to be.

And, a lot of white ppl are repubs because they have a brain.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

would someone be more likely to believe or side with someone of the same color even if what they are siding with them about isn't entirely what they are about?

I think a lot of black ppl are dems because they fill that they are required to be.

And, a lot of white ppl are repubs because they have a brain.

Comment

fill=feel
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

I think a lot of black ppl are dems because many more Democrats than Republicans are concerned about inequality.

And, a lot of white ppl are repubs because they don't have a heart.

fixed it for you
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

What exactly does 'partisan' mean in the context of American politics? I'm never quite sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                      What exactly does 'partisan' mean in the context of American politics? I'm never quite sure.

It means that Republicans kill and eat children of Democrats.

Comment

Yes, and Democrats nominate guys looking like this for their nation's highest office:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                          Yes, and Democrats nominate guys looking like this for their nation's highest office:
                          Looks are relevant to a person's competency how . . . . .

Abraham Lincoln was certainly not handsome, but he did an excellent job as president during both terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                            Someone who is very "partisan" will typically defend his/her party even in the worst situation, whilst denigrating the other, even in its best moment. "My party, right or wrong" essentially.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                              Heh. Then again, JFK got a ton of female votes b/c they thought he was good looking. A similar thing happened with Clinton.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X