Kerry to try to filibuster Alito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry to try to filibuster Alito

You ****ING IDIOT! Don't you know about political capital and what it means to waste it?! Stop trying to stay relevent by being an idiot! It didn't work for Teddy Kennedy and it won't work for you!

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. John Kerry will attempt a filibuster to block the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court, CNN has learned.

Kerry, in Davos, Switzerland, to attend the World Economic Forum, was marshaling support in phone calls during the day, Democratic sources told CNN.

Sources say Kerry talked to a group of Democratic senators Wednesday, and urged that they join him. He also has the support of fellow Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Some senior Democrats told CNN they are worried that the move could backfire.

Republicans would need 60 votes to overturn a filibuster -- a procedural move that extends Senate debate indefinitely, effectively blocking a vote. Senior White House officials said the move would make the Democrats look bad, and that Republicans believe they have enough votes to overcome any filibuster attempt.

Majority Leader Bill Frist, a Tennessee Republican, scheduled a vote to end debate on the nomination -- called a cloture vote -- Monday at 4:30 p.m. If that vote is successful, the final vote would be Tuesday morning.

Nearly all 55 Republican senators have said they will vote for Alito. Only three Democrats -- Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska, Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia and Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota -- have said they will vote for the nominee.

Earlier Thursday, Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana said she would oppose a filibuster.

"Because we have such a full plate of pressing issues before Congress, a filibuster at this time would be, in my view, very counterproductive," said Landrieu, who is pushing the Senate to focus on the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
    Party line vote

On Tuesday, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted along party lines to send Alito's nomination to the full Senate.

In supporting Alito, the 10 committee Republicans praised his qualifications and long judicial career.

Democrats have been mostly united in opposition to Alito. The panel's eight Democrats opposed him, saying he would be too deferential to presidential authority and would restrict abortion rights.

Republicans and the White House are pushing to have that vote before President Bush gives his State of the Union speech January 31, Senate sources have said.

In the floor debate of Alito's nomination, Democrats have been highly critical of the nomination, saying he would threaten civil liberties and fail to act as a check on executive power.

"If an originalist analysis was applied to the Fourteenth Amendment, women would not be provided equal protection under the Constitution, interracial marriages could be outlawed, schools could still be segregated and the principle of one man, one vote would not govern the way we elect our representatives," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat.

Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the Judiciary Committee's ranking Democrat, had supported Chief Justice John Roberts' nomination last fall.

But this time, he said, "I am concerned that if we confirm this nominee it will further erode the checks and balances" between the branches of government.

CNN's Ed Henry and Dana Bash contributed to this report.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

God bless the American voters for keeping this clown out of the White House.

Comment

Imran, I think you're getting slightly too emotional on the issue.

@Winston.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Fair warning. Just in case.
        Attached Files
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

The good news is...this means Kerry won't have a chance in heqq in making a viable run at the White House in 2006.

Comment

what an idiot.

I would confirm alito, if I were on the senate, I think he'll be a pretty good justice.

Comment

You can't waste political capital if you don't have it.
              Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

The good news is...this means Kerry won't have a chance in heqq in making a viable run at the White House in 2006.

Bush is about to be impeached?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

I'm pretty sure no one has a chance of making a viable run at the White House in 2006.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Cheney does
                    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                      That said, I don't think anybody is going to have a good chance at making a viable run at the White House this year.
                      B♭3

Comment

Geez, Imran. Take a chill pill.

Comment

Just when you thought the Senate Dems couldn't make themselves look any dumber on the Alito confirmation...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

I'm pretty sure no one has a chance of making a viable run at the White House in 2006.
                            Or in 2008 either.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                              Geez, Imran. Take a chill pill.
                              I'm sure you'll be laughing when the White House gets another golden oppertunity to paint the Dems are nutjobs, hurting Reid's careful work.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X