i don't know... just making stuff up
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Oh. OK...

...ya jerk.
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

you'd think they'd have something like that over there

or do English folk already speak Chinese?
        Monkey!!!

Comment

I have no visa, but apparently US students (or students in general) are supposed to be entitled to work 20 hours a week, even without a visa (I hope I'm not wrong on this one...).

You must not:
          # work for more than 20 hours a week during term time unless your placement is part of your studies, has been agreed with your educational institution and leads to a degree or qualification awarded by a nationally recognised examining body
          # do business, be self-employed or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer, or
          # work full-time in a permanent job.
          Last edited by Dauphin; January 27, 2006, 14:57.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Help Mao Find a Job

Originally posted by Mao
            Alright. So here's my deal:

I'm studying at Oxford for a semester (and I'm quite insulted no one's treated me a to a pint yet...bastards), and I'd like to make a little bit of money. I have no visa, but apparently US students (or students in general) are supposed to be entitled to work 20 hours a week, even without a visa (I hope I'm not wrong on this one...). At any rate, I'm poor and want to make a bit of extra money waitering, babysitting, whatever.

Now, since there are some polytubbies in Oxford, maybe they could clue me in. I've looked around the internet and a lot of the sites (gumtree) seem to be a haven for spammers and the like, without any real results. Where should I look? For starters, I don't even know what the local newspaper is...
            Simple answer: you can't. All Oxford students are banned from having jobs during term time. We have too much work, we're not allowed to have jobs as well. No newspapers had ads for it as it's known. Last term a girl was expelled for working in HSBC.

Originally posted by Mao
            Or, failing that, who wants to give me an internship for the summer? eh? eh?
            Most of the deadlines ahve gone, but a few may be left. They're all full time though.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Re: Re: Help Mao Find a Job

Originally posted by Drogue

Simple answer: you can't. All Oxford students are banned from having jobs during term time. We have too much work, we're not allowed to have jobs as well. No newspapers had ads for it as it's known. Last term a girl was expelled for working in HSBC.
              Wait what? Are you serious? I'm a foreign student here for two terms. I'm not studying for a degree, and I believe my workload is half that of a normal student (I have one primary tutorial once a week, and a secondary tutorial once every two weeks, as opposed to normal students studying the equivalent of ~3 tutorials, correct?). You're not *allowed* to have jobs by the schools? Wow...how did anyone even find out she was working at HSBC?

Most of the deadlines ahve gone, but a few may be left. They're all full time though.
              Yeah, tell me about it. I've been rushing a few applications to the States just in time for a few deadlines. That's why I wanted someone to *give* me an internship

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Help Mao Find a Job

Originally posted by Mao
                Wait what? Are you serious? I'm a foreign student here for two terms. I'm not studying for a degree, and I believe my workload is half that of a normal student (I have one primary tutorial once a week, and a secondary tutorial once every two weeks, as opposed to normal students studying the equivalent of ~3 tutorials, correct?). You're not *allowed* to have jobs by the schools? Wow...how did anyone even find out she was working at HSBC?
                I don't know if it's the same for visiting students, but for degree students any paid employment is banned. There are the few exceptions for jobs put on by the university, but they're rare and never really much used.

I can't remember how they found out, but it was in the Cherwell last term.
                Smile
                For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Re: Re: Help Mao Find a Job

Originally posted by Drogue
                  We have too much work, we're not allowed to have jobs as well.
                  That's a bit silly. A university student should know how to arrange his own time. If he can handle a full-time course load plus working part-time, let him. If he can't, well, he can decide to either quit working or drop out.

Com'on, I don't think you Oxford types study all that much at any rate.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Help Mao Find a Job

Originally posted by Mao
                    It's unlucky, I know people who have worked far enough out so they don't get caught. I never had enough time to work anyway so it never posed too much of a problem, I did think it was a bit restrictive, especially with the financial constraints of being a student. But I often found the Proctors' rules could be pretty awkward like that. I don't know how it applies to a foreign student like yourself, you will need to check up on what you signed...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Banning Oxford students from getting a job. Is that so they can get a taste of what their life would be like were it not for the old boy network.

Comment

Miaow
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

*sigh* ...anyone around Oxford wanna pay me for doing odd jobs then?

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            Miaow
                            I think you'll find it's Mao.

Comment

Mayo?
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Goes well with fries. That's another valuable mcjob lesson for any would be graduate.

Comment

Working...
                                X