Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Mao Find a Job

Alright. So here's my deal:

I'm studying at Oxford for a semester (and I'm quite insulted no one's treated me a to a pint yet...bastards), and I'd like to make a little bit of money. I have no visa, but apparently US students (or students in general) are supposed to be entitled to work 20 hours a week, even without a visa (I hope I'm not wrong on this one...). At any rate, I'm poor and want to make a bit of extra money waitering, babysitting, whatever.

Now, since there are some polytubbies in Oxford, maybe they could clue me in. I've looked around the internet and a lot of the sites (gumtree) seem to be a haven for spammers and the like, without any real results. Where should I look? For starters, I don't even know what the local newspaper is...

Or, failing that, who wants to give me an internship for the summer? eh? eh?
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Re: Help Mao Find a Job

Originally posted by Mao
    I've looked around the internet and a lot of the sites (gumtree) seem to be a haven for spammers and the like, without any real results.
    Sounds just like home (poly)
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Not sure about this, but you maybe able to find tutoring jobs teaching underclass people. Sometimes it's very good pay hourly rate wise. It's not stable, but you probably don't need a stable job.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Be a bartender. Best way to learn about the local culture and get those pints.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's an idea UR. I might try to tutor Chinese or somesuch...hopefully someone will pay me.

DaShi, I'd love a job like that...but they're hard to come by. I have applied to a catering thingie though...

Comment

How about looking in the local paper? Surely they have classifieds...
            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

You must be Australian to be a barman in the UK.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
                That's an idea UR. I might try to tutor Chinese or somesuch...hopefully someone will pay me.
                Poutonga is hot if you know it.

If you are a science major there are more subjects you can teach.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm doing political stuff. There should be some way I can get out the word that I can teach Mandarin cheaply. Anyone have any ideas?

Timex, I've actually been trying to look for a paper all around, but it seems that I'm having a hard time finding one...at least in the libraries. (and yes, I'm too poor to afford the fifty pence or whatever it is to buy a newspaper...I can eat for a day on that... )

Comment

I don't think you want to be a bartender unless you are really big and can stand up to drunken ruffians.

Originally posted by Mao
                    Unfortunately, I'm doing political stuff. There should be some way I can get out the word that I can teach Mandarin cheaply.
                    You don't want to do it cheaply. Too cheaply anyway. Don't appear to be desperate.

Originally posted by Mao
                    Anyone have any ideas?
                    Student Union bulletin board? Maybe there's even a computerised version of it by now...

Comment

For some reason, though I get the impression that not many students would take up the offer. My guess is that my main target would be young students whose parents want them to learn it for one reason or another. Now...how do I reach them...

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
                        For some reason, though I get the impression that not many students would take up the offer. My guess is that my main target would be young students whose parents want them to learn it for one reason or another. Now...how do I reach them...
                        Maybe local cafes will allow you to put up a notice without $.

Comment

Hmmm...I could go ask around...

Damnit, why can't someone just offer me a job already...hahaha

Comment

Look in on Kaplan or Sylvan Learning centers
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

They offer jobs in the UK there? Hmmm...I'm taking a look and navigating through...

Comment

Working...
                              X