One Line Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Line Novels

Why spend all that time reading a novel when the entire plot could be summarized by one sentence from the book, or, at worst, a short paragraph?

Here's an example to start:

"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."

Usual rules apply:
    Identify both author and title.
    First correct answer posts the next entry.
    Googling the quote is considered gauche.
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace?

[Edit] There is no edit. This line is here in error. [/Edit]
    Last edited by Donegeal; January 26, 2006, 11:21.
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

since he didnt name the author, i'll try to steal

Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace?

edit: damn, i'm wrong. I got too curious and googled it, but I won't give it away
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Independence Day

I think Will Smith said it
        Monkey!!!

Comment

What are you talking about Ninot?
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

It's from Hemingway, quoted in the movie Se7en, but I don't know the book title. (I'm not sure if the irony was pointed out in Se7en or elsewhere.)
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Um, Robert E. Heinlein's Starship Troopers?

Though I think Heinlein's exact phrasing was, "The world is a fine place and worth a little jingoistic oppression and eternal horniness in those who fight for it. Really. I mean it. Hey, look, big robot suits!"
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Loinberger's right, it's Hemingway. I think it's "For whom the Bell Tolls."
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Google confirms that Rufus is correct.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Okay then:

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald... I think that's the last line...?
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

... though I fail to see how that quote "summarizes the entire book."
                        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                          ... though I fail to see how that quote "summarizes the entire book."
                          yeah, I went for an easy one. And I think it summarizes the theme rather nicely. Anyway, your go...

Comment

Well, I don't read many really famous books, but this one is one of my favorites.

"For Brother Joshua's group had only begun the first short lap of a long and doubtful journey, a new Exodus from Egypt under the auspices of a God who must surely be very weary of the race of Man."
                            Last edited by Cyclotron; January 26, 2006, 22:41.

Comment

....that's more than one sentence.
                              "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                              "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                              Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X