• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We weren't going to do it before...

but now we might

U.S. envoy dismisses Harper's Arctic plan
    Last Updated Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:09:54 EST
    CBC News

The United States opposes a plan by prime minister-designate Stephen Harper to deploy military icebreakers in the Arctic in order to assert Canadian sovereignty, says the U.S. ambassador to Canada.

"There's no reason to create a problem that doesn't exist," David Wilkins said Wednesday as he took part in a forum at the University of Western Ontario in London.

"We don't recognize Canada's claims to those waters... Most other countries do not recognize their claim."

During the election campaign, which culminated with Harper's win this week, the Conservatives promised to spend $5.3 billion over five years to defend northern waters against the Americans, Russians and Danes.

"Sovereignty is something, you use it or you lose it," Harper said at the pre-Christmas announcement in Winnipeg.

His plan included the construction and deployment of three new armed heavy icebreaking ships, as well as the eventual construction of a $2-billion deepwater port in Iqaluit and an underwater network of "listening posts."

Harper wouldn't say whether he would order military action if the ships or port detected an unauthorized submarine in Arctic waters.

In an interview, Wilkins said he doesn't think that kind of military buildup is necessary in the Far North.

"We are simply having a disagreement on this," he said. "We have agreed to disagree, and there's no reason ... to say, 'There's a problem that's occurring and we gotta do something about it.'"

Wilkins also said he expects less anti-American sentiment from Harper's new minority government, and added that he called Harper to offer congratulations on his election victory.

Has this guy not figured out our mindset yet? 5.3 billion dollars isn't that much to spend if it means we get to piss off the Americans. Telling us not to do it just means that this makes the issue a popular opinion slam dunk for Harper. He proposed it as part of the campaign, and now that he's elected he gets to show he's not a Bush lapdog by going through with it over the objections of the Americans. Wilkins also deflates the opposition (most particularly by the Liberals) who went after Harper for his perceived closeness with Bush. They're going to have to be careful opposing this now...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Yes, but is that USD or Canadian?
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

CAD
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hmmm... If I had more confidence in the Bush Administration, I'd almost say they planned it this way. It seems like the US has handed Harper a massive PR gift.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

~4.5 billion USD
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Hmmm... If I had more confidence in the Bush Administration, I'd almost say they planned it this way. It seems like the US has handed Harper a massive PR gift.
            Except that you guys have good reason not to want this to happen. You play your little reindeer games under the water up there, and you'd rather nobody knew exactly where your **** was.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Possible but it triggers support for a policy that some believe the Americans would not want.

Personally I'm not sure. The Americans might be quite happy with ANY Canadian beefing up of defense ANYWHERE since it should mean we would require less assistence
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Flubber, the US doesn't give us "assistance" in terms of defence.

It certainly doesn't do **** to guard our assets up North. In fact, they actively opposed many of our claims up there and routinely violate said claims.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I have never felt that Canada needed our assistance... but it is nice to see our protectorates trying to stand on their own two feet.
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                    I have never felt that Canada needed our assistance... but it is nice to see our protectorates trying to stand on their own two feet.
                    Lundy's Lane
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Warmongering Canadians
                      Attached Files
                      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                        Yes, but is that USD or Canadian?
                        Making less and less difference as time goes by...
                        What?

Comment

OH NOES! THE POLLAR BEARS ARE BECOMING AMERICAN!
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

What a waste of money. Hey, another way you can copy us!! Waste lots of money on dubious military toys so you can measure your dicks

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              Flubber, the US doesn't give us "assistance" in terms of defence.
                              Well we kinda rely on them and NATO to be there and protect us if anyone every got frisky with us. IN a crazy scenario-- Say China decided to invade Canada to grab the oilsands, do you think we are protecting ourselves.

Note that this scenarion is ludicrous mainly BECAUSE everyone knows the US would not allow it.

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

It certainly doesn't do **** to guard our assets up North. In fact, they actively opposed many of our claims up there and routinely violate said claims.
                              Guard them for us?? nope but I'm betting part of the reason they play up there is to check to see if anyone else is up there.

I don't think they would mind too much generally if we beef up our military spending. Its not like they expect us to shoot at them and if they get another somewhat competent opponent for their subs to test their capabilities so be it.

I just believe generally, the US likes to see its allies increasing their military competence. The fact that its aimed at asserting some claims they reject is mildly annoying to them but I frankly can't see them getting too fussed.
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X