Dumb Computer Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Computer Question!

I just installed a 200GB hard drive. It has 200,000,000,000 bytes on it, but is shows up as 186GB. Why's that again?

why is your computer dumb?

Comment

It doesn't really have 200,000,000,000 bytes on it. It really has 2^(somethingth) power bytes, which is closer to 186GB.

I think.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

For marketing purposes, somebody somewhere decided that 1MB equals 1,000,000 bytes rather than 1,048,576 bytes, which it should be. So drives tend to be listed by the marketing meg when sold, but computers still read the correct one.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
          For marketing purposes, somebody somewhere decided that 1MB equals 1,000,000 bytes rather than 1,048,576 bytes, which it should be. So drives tend to be listed by the marketing meg when sold, but computers still read the correct one.
          Ahhh, I see. Thank you

Comment

Actually, it's because formatting a drive takes up some of the capacity with the filesystem and such. I believe a 200GB drive has pretty close to 200,000,000,000 bytes available on it (in fact, iirc 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes exactly, not 2^30, whereas 1MB = 2^20 bytes, at least according to HDD peoples). Formatting it under different filesystems (NFTS, FAT32, various Unix filesystems and Mac filesystems, etc.) will yield different final amounts.

This is true on any disk, be it a HDD, floppy, or even a SD card for a camera - you need to save some room for the FAT and other niceties, and those come out of the total disk volume.

Edit: lol! Apparently it's both... I was under the impression that Windows used 1GB=1x10^9 as a gigabyte, but it apparently doesn't ... so some of your missing space is filesystem, and some is 1x10^9/2^30.

Edit2: Hmm, and windows is lying to you, in telling you it's 186GB. That's the correct number under Koy's answer above - but it definitely should be telling you that some of the space is taken with filesystem and whatnot; in past iterations of windows, and other programs, it's been consistent that way. Apparently it doesn't any more
            Last edited by snoopy369; January 24, 2006, 22:51.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
            X