Ping time parade...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping time parade...

I'm curious to know all y'all's ping times to talk.google.com. This will indicate the extent of Google's infrastructure -- i.e.,, how good are Google's Talk servers spread around the world and how responsive are they? By way of background, talking on the phone is the type of activity that requires Google to try to minimize ping times.

Go to start-run. Type in "cmd" and enter. A black window will pop up. Type "ping -n 100 talk.google.com" and enter. This will take a couple of minutes.

From work, my round-trip ping times are...

Min: 4 ms
    Max: 267 ms
    Average: 22 ms

Commentary: the 4 ms ping times are f'ing extraordinary.
    Last edited by DanS; January 24, 2006, 13:13.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I don't believe you

I bet if I type that in I open up a microsoft hole to viruses that will destory my computer and anyone elses whose e-mail address I have... or something.

uh

Timed out
    Monkey!!!

Comment

From home...

Min: 9 ms
      Max: 38 ms
      Average: 14 ms
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I don't think Apolyton has enough people to DOS Google, if that's what you're trying to do.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

From the university:

Min 13 ms
          Max 34 ms
          Avg 15 ms
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Oh, fine. From the backwoods:

Min 57
            Max 73
            Avg 60
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

minimum= 69 ms
              maximum= 98 ms
              average= 74 ms

lost =0 0%

that sure is a pain in the ass to type. I'm so spoiled on copy and paste.

my location is the unincorporated Clark County (essentually Las Vegas)

but isn't this dependant on our ISP speed? I have the slower cable modem (it's cheaper). 256K is the rated speed of my ISP.

Comment

but isn't this dependant on our ISP speed?
                Yes, it is dependent on how good of a network your ISP has, but not directly dependent on how fast your connection is.

Comment

min 152 max 161 average 153 lost 0

wtf?
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I don't use google talk, but I do DOS.

Code:
                    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
                    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping talk.google.com

Pinging talk.l.google.com [216.239.37.125] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.37.125: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=243
                    Reply from 216.239.37.125: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 216.239.37.125:
                        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
                    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
                        Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 23ms

C:\>
                    BTW: I use DSL.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Are you going to do this every year Dans?
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Croatia, Europe: 140 ms average (DSL).

I generally expirence laggy VoIP regardless of software I use. Even p2p VoIP is not very good. Could be sabotage by the telecom.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                          Are you going to do this every year Dans?
                          I was just curious about what Google got for its over $800 million in capital spending in 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            Croatia, Europe: 140 ms average (DSL).

I generally expirence laggy VoIP regardless of software I use. Even p2p VoIP is not very good. Could be sabotage by the telecom.
                            Have you tried Google Talk? As I understand (or "as far as I search"), ping times up to 150 ms are considered acceptable for VOIP.
                            Last edited by DanS; January 24, 2006, 14:44.

Comment

Nope, haven't tried Google Talk. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X