Worth Its Salt...Or A Whole Lot More!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth Its Salt...Or A Whole Lot More!

International art thefts have been much in the news the past few years- missing Munchs :

No progress in Munch theft case
    Police have received tips from home and abroad in their search for the armed thieves that stole the famous masterpieces "The Scream" and "Madonna" by Edvard Munch 40 days ago. Despite this and consultation with experienced international colleagues, police have no suspects.

"We have not had any good, concrete tips about where the pictures are. We are still optimistic but we need some time," said police inspector Iver Stensrud, head of the Organized Crime division of the Oslo police district

and a manhandled Moore sculpture:

£3m Henry Moore sculpture stolen

Thieves used a flatbed lorry to remove the sculpture
    A bronze statue worth £3m ($5.3m) by sculptor Henry Moore has been stolen from the grounds of a museum.
    Two vehicles gained access to the courtyard of the Henry Moore Foundation in Perry Green, Much Hadham in Hertfordshire, on Thursday evening.

Three men then loaded the huge statue of "a reclining figure" onto the back of a Mercedes lorry using a crane.

Officers investigating the theft believe it could have been stolen for scrap value.

The 1969/1970 work is 3.6m long, 2m high by 2m wide and weighs 2.1 tonnes.

long vanished Vermeers- but here's some good news.

The world's most expensive cruet set has been found!

DESCRIPTION

In May 2003, at 4 AM, a thief used conveniently placed scaffolding to break into the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna, Austria through a first-floor window. Smashing the unprotected glass display case, the thief stole a gold, ebony and enamel salt cellar created by the noted Renaissance master Benvenuto Cellini. The salt cellar has been valued at approximately $55 million.

The intricate, 16-centimetre-high sculpture, known as the Saliera, or salt cellar, is valued at about $US57 million ($88 million). It was commissioned from Cellini - one of the Italian Renaissance's most ingenious goldsmiths - in the 1540s by King Francois I of France.

The Art History Museum's director, Wilfried Seipel, called the piece the "Mona Lisa of sculptures".

RECOVERED

On Saturday, January 21, 2006, the Austrian police recovered the Benvenuto Cellini salt cellar when the suspected thief led them to its hiding place. The sculpture was recovered undamaged.

Damn. Now what am I going to use to season my jacket potatoes ?
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Art theft
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

That Munch article is a bit outdated by now. 6 persons have been arrested, but the paintings are still missing, possibly destroyed.
      Here's a newer article http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...le1182796.ece. The Oslo PD seems to be run by imbeciles, but who am I to judge.
      CSPA

Comment

the security at these places suck
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
          That Munch article is a bit outdated by now. 6 persons have been arrested, but the paintings are still missing, possibly destroyed.
          Here's a newer article http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...le1182796.ece. The Oslo PD seems to be run by imbeciles, but who am I to judge.
          They DISTROYED The Scream? THOSE BASTARDS!

Comment

Maybe, yes http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1028548.ece
            CSPA

Comment

Damn, that's a shame. One of my favourite paintings.

Comment

Working...
              X