• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Crick: In Defence of Politics

Anyone ever read his book?
    =
    Bernard Crick: In Defence of Politics
    =

Anyone have comments about what he his thinking. Anyone have ever worked on his book?

Thanks,
    bleh

no
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So! Nobody ever read his book???
      bleh

Comment

no
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

What is his book about?
          Blah

Comment

This is for one my course on politics! I wanted to discuss the books, and maybe, I'll get some idea for an essay.

thanks

Book Description
            In this illuminating celebration of the political world, Bernard Crick asserts that politics, with
            its compromises and power struggles, remains the only tested alternative to government by
            coercion, making both freedom and order possible in heterogeneous societies. For Crick,
            politics is messy and complex, and his book defends it against those who would identify it with
            (and reduce it to) ideology, democracy, nationalism, or technology.

This Fourth edition has been updated to include an assessment of the revolutions in 1989 in
            Eastern Europe. It also examines current situations in Northern Ireland, Israel and Palestine,
            and South Africa.

“A short book written with verve and brilliance. . . . He has written an exceedingly clever and
            disturbing book on important issues, all that he writes is alive and much of what he says, even
            when it seems perversely provocative, turns out to be penetrating and serious.”
            --Isaiah Berlin, 20th Century

“One of the most thoughtful products of the political dialogues of the London School of
            Economics since the great days of Tawney, Dalton, Wallas and Hobhouse. Its sobriety,
            liberal spirit and toughness of mind are rare qualities in any political work.”
            --Edward Shils, Guardian

Bernard Crick is emeritus professor of politics at Birkbeck College, London, and honorary
            fellow of Edinburgh University. Among his publications are George Orwell: A Life.

bleh

Comment

So, let me sum up:

He basically says that, although politics sucks, it's better than the alternative.

My response: duh. Same basic principle as Churchills' quote re: democracy (given that when you talk about politics, you're assuming representative government).

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Any relation to Francis?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Based on the description, it's a stupid book.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                  X