Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman gives birth; doctors cut off all her limbs by mistake

Oh my F--king God

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Sanford mother says she will never be able to hold her newborn because an Orlando hospital performed a life-altering surgery and, she claims, the hospital refuses to explain why they left her as a multiple amputee.

The woman filed a complaint against Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems, she said, because they won't tell her exactly what happened. The hospital maintains the woman wants to know information that would violate other patients' rights.

Claudia Mejia gave birth eight and a half months ago at Orlando Regional South Seminole. She was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando where her arms and legs were amputated. She was told she had streptococcus, a flesh eating bacteria, and toxic shock syndrome, but no further explanation was given.

The hospital, in a letter, wrote that if she wanted to find out exactly what happened, she would have to sue them.

"I want to know what happened. I went to deliver my baby and I came out like this," Mejia said.

Mejia said after she gave birth to Mathew last spring, she was kept in the hospital with complications. Twelve days after giving birth at Orlando Regional South Seminole hospital, she was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center where she became a quadruple amputee. Now she can not care for or hold her baby.

"Yeah, I want to pick him up. He wants me to pick him up. I can't. I want to, but I can't," she said. "Woke up from surgery and I had no arms and no legs. No one told me anything. My arms and legs were just gone."

Her 7-year-old son, Jorge, asks his mother over and over what happened to her. Neither she nor her husband has the answer.

"I love her, so I'll always stick with her and take it a day at a time myself," said her husband, Tim Edwards.

The couple wants to know how she caught streptococcus, during labor or after. She doesn't know. She knows she didn't leave the hospital the same.

"And why, I want to know why this happened," she said.

Her attorney, Judy Hyman wrote ORHS a letter saying, according to the Florida statute, "The Patients Right To Know About Adverse Medical Incidents Act," the hospital must give her the records.

"When the statute is named 'Patients Right To Know,' I don't know how it could be clearer," Hyman said.

The hospital's lawyers wrote back, "Ms. Mejia's request may require legal resolution." In other words, according to their interpretation of the law, Mejia has to sue them to get information about herself.

That's the sticking point, the interpretation of the Patients Right To Know act, a constitutional amendment Florida voters passed a little more than a year ago.

Mejia's other attorney, E. Clay Parker, said the hospital is not following the law

"We were forced to file this and ask a judge to interpret the constitutional amendment and do right," Parker said.

Mejia hopes the right thing is done. She said not knowing exactly why it happened is unbearable. She only hopes she'll be able to soon answer her little boy's question, 'What happened?'

"He told me everyday, 'What happened,' and I don't have any answers for that," she said.

ORMC said Mejia is requesting information on if there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus. They said, if they release that to her, that would be a violation of other patients' rights.

Those clowns are stalling to destroy the evidence of their screw up, I'm sure of it.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Holy ****!

Comment

WTF!? How can you mistakenly cut off another person's limbs?
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Oops! I accidentally cut down my neighbor's tree -- my arms just went out of control!!
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Does giving birth require surgery? I mean, if she needed Caesarian, they could have mentioned that.

Comment

I wonder if any doctors even in midieval times were stupid enough to cut off an expecting mothers arms?
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                Does giving birth require surgery? I mean, if she needed Caesarian, they could have mentioned that.
                "I want to know what happened. I went to deliver my baby and I came out like this," Mejia said.

Mejia said after she gave birth to Mathew last spring, she was kept in the hospital with complications. Twelve days after giving birth at Orlando Regional South Seminole hospital, she was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center where she became a quadruple amputee. Now she can not care for or hold her baby.
                So, sounds like it might have been a C-section to me, and 12 days later the physcians decided she got an infection and put her under at another Hospital.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Ah, thanks, probably glanced through that part too quickly.

Comment

Unbelievable. Are there more than one news source of this information?

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      Unbelievable. Are there more than one news source of this information?
                      Looks like it was the local tv station...I'll keep an eye out if it makes National.

Comment

Did I miss the part where they said it was a mistake?

The article said she had streptococcus, which meant her limbs had to be amputated to stop it from spreading.

The article also says:
                        ORMC said Mejia is requesting information on if there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus. They said, if they release that to her, that would be a violation of other patients' rights.
                        And seeing that the source is a local TV station, I'm giving 100-1 odds that this was a PR stunt for the lady to try to force them to settle, and the TV station is using it as a "human interest" shocker story by playing fast and loose with the facts.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Did I miss the part where they said it was a mistake?

The article said she had streptococcus, which meant her limbs had to be amputated to stop it from spreading.
                          I wonder if the bacteria can infect only limbs without the torso.

As for mistake, well, this seems to imply that she had no idea what wa shappening.

"Yeah, I want to pick him up. He wants me to pick him up. I can't. I want to, but I can't," she said. "Woke up from surgery and I had no arms and no legs. No one told me anything. My arms and legs were just gone."

Comment

Of course she didn't know as soon as she woke up...

It seems the hospital told her quite clearly what happened:
                            The couple wants to know how she caught streptococcus, during labor or after. She doesn't know. She knows she didn't leave the hospital the same.
                            What she doesn't know is how she got streptococcus. So she's been demanding to know who else had streptococcus in the hospital, which the hospital is saying is privledged information they cannot give up unless subpoenaed.

There appears to be no "mistake" here, that was your fabrication in the title.

Further, it seems she wants to identify who gave her the bacteria so she can probably sue their ass.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Good point, Asher. This is my main gripe as well, the mistake part, though I didn't put it into wording.

Also, if the premise of this being a mistake is accepted, the way the childbirth aspect is being played up seems rather harsh. It's as if they imply it's several times worse than if it happened to a childless person. Come on! What does it matter how many kids or pets or canaries you have, you lost all your limbs by mistake!

Comment

Working...
                              X