No announcement yet.

Separation of Church and State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankly I don't believe that there are any real wiccans. The religion died out completely centuries ago, and there wasn't enough written history of it left to reconstruct it. What we have today is people playing at being wiccans. Likewise there really isn't a real church of Satan. If Satan had wanted a church he'd have founded one and it would be nearly as old as the human race. Instead Satan prefers to pervert other religions or work his mission on a one - to - one basis. I'm sure we can all think of examples.

That's my opinion on the matter.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

Doesn't matter, to "establish" religion a law must be passed requiring others to act in accordance with that religion. Manger scenes require no law and they do not compel or coerce me to do anything.
      Just out of curiosity: What do you think the government's motivation is for putting up a manger scene?

The SCOTUS is a group of political hacks in black robes who make sh*t up out if ideology or political expediency to bypass the Constitution.
      ...or to put in more accurately, someone brings to them a dispute over the Constitution and they decide that dispute.

Comment

Just out of curiosity: What do you think the government's motivation is for putting up a manger scene?
        to celebrate the birthday of Jesus, the same motivation of those who want to erect manger scenes in their towns.

...or to put in more accurately, someone brings to them a dispute over the Constitution and they decide that dispute.
        You've achieved greater accuracy by telling us the court settles disputes rather than how it goes about settling most of those disputes?

Comment

Its strange how SCS is seen as an abridgement of religious freedom by many. In fact... keeping the state out of religion is an effective endorsement of religion as a legitimate activity, explicitly protected from the coercive and corrupting influence of politics.

I find it strange that such a big issue be made out of trying to place religious symbols in public squares... aren't there any Churches in the USA??

Just consider yourselves lucky.... in Australia s116 of the Constitution is almost identical to the religious clauses of the US Constitution, and yet subtle differences in wording has allowed the High Court to effectively interpret it out of effective relevance. It held that allowing direct Government funding to religious schools did not constitute establishment... because the laws that enabled such funding did not have for their express purpose the establishment of religion. Nevermind the fact that Government funding has increased steadily since it was allowed, and that it is encouraging increased enrolment in religious schools to the detriment of state schools... and you guys worry about a manger scene in some town square...

I suppose that Australia is relatively safe with a lax establishment clause because we are nowhere near as religious as you yanks. Somethings gotta keep your "America is a divinely ordained nation" crowd on a leash.... and I don't think the executive or legislative branch is going to provide one...

I have another question: what is the significance of recent developments in the American judiciary for SCS? I know that under Rehnquist the concept began to be challenged... but what will happen to it now that O'Connor is set to be replaced by Alito?

Comment

Really?

Regale us with more stories, oh ignorant one!

It appears quite obvious to rational folk that Christians tend to whine far more than atheists or Muslims. Christians try to play up a persecution complex in a country where THEY are the majority! It's unreal!
            So wait, they get a quote from one guy saying he doesn't want it because he is Christian? I think it's more along the lines that we don't want to feel like we're in the ****ing middle east. Maybe you haven't noticed, but the majority of people just don't like Islam. I know, I know, how could we possibly revile such a peaceful and tolerant religion? I'm at a loss too, just can't figure out what it is that I hate so much about Islam. I mean seriously, you'd have to be some "fundy" Christian zealot to have a problem listening to a prayer call in arabic over a ****ing loud speaker in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Comment

I wish I were as smart as SLD.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I think it's more along the lines that we don't want to feel like we're in the ****ing middle east. Maybe you haven't noticed, but the majority of people just don't like Islam.

No whining there... nope.

I mean seriously, you'd have to be some "fundy" Christian zealot to have a problem listening to a prayer call in arabic over a ****ing loud speaker in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Exactly.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                  Frankly I don't believe that there are any real wiccans. The religion died out completely centuries ago, and there wasn't enough written history of it left to reconstruct it. What we have today is people playing at being wiccans. Likewise there really isn't a real church of Satan. If Satan had wanted a church he'd have founded one and it would be nearly as old as the human race. Instead Satan prefers to pervert other religions or work his mission on a one - to - one basis. I'm sure we can all think of examples.

That's my opinion on the matter.
                  I agree

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Muslims don't fit into the western world, PERIOD. You can preach about tolerance and multiculturalism and all the other politically correct bull**** that just warms our hearts, but how can a culture so incredibly different from ours assimilate properly? Everything about the Islamic culture runs contrary to ours. You think we are going to let you come in here and use our laws against us? Just wait and see. Europe may end up under the rule of Imams as they become colonized by muslims, but that **** will never happen here.

Comment

Originally posted by StarLightDeath
                      I think it's more along the lines that we don't want to feel like we're in the ****ing middle east.
                      Quick question: what is the biggest Islamic country in terms of population?

Hint: it is not in the Middle East
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Muslims don't fit into the western world, PERIOD. You can preach about tolerance and multiculturalism and all the other politically correct bull**** that just warms our hearts, but how can a culture so incredibly different from ours assimilate properly? Everything about the Islamic culture runs contrary to ours. You think we are going to let you come in here and use our laws against us? Just wait and see. Europe may end up under the rule of Imams as they become colonized by muslims, but that **** will never happen here.
                        Did someone talk about whining?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

He's going to call you a liar .

Comment

Imran and my somali friend seem to fit in pretty well to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

INDONESIA!

Do I get a prize?

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                                Imran and my somali friend seem to fit in pretty well to me.
                                So do most of the other 3 million or so Muslims (1% of the population according to the CIA Factbook).

Though I am reminded at those who said Italians and Irish can never become true Americans because they will never assimilate. After all, they were in the original US ghettos (along with Jews, of course).

Comment

Working...
                                X