Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What verions of songs do you prefer - original or cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What verions of songs do you prefer - original or cover?

I thought of this listening to One.

First time I heard this song it was in the Johnny Cash version and I instantly loved it. Normally it takes a while before I like a song, but in this case it was different, I liked it right at once. Later when I listened to the U2 version I found it lame in comparison. Slow, little guitar and all.

But now things have changed and I prefer the original. The reason is that I now value the vocals much more than before, and in this regard Cash is just inferior, doesn't bring the point across as well.

What matters more for you as to this song - vocals or guitar, spirit or rhythm?
    I like the U2 one better, but I normally prefer originals.
    0.00%
    I like the U2 version better, but there's no general tendency to prefer original versions.
    20.00%
    The Johnny Cash one is better.
    20.00%
    This song sucks no matter who plays it.
    20.00%
    Metallica did the bestest version on their album "Banana for all"
    40.00%

rhythm and spirit.

Comment

That doesn't help with this song. Cash has the rhythm, U2 the spirit.

Comment

Depends on the song. In this case, I've not heard either, so I don't know.

However, these examples:
        NIN - Hurt / Johnny Cash - Hurt
        I prefer Cash's version, if only because I like the simplicity and his voice over the complexity of the NIN version. That said, I do also like NIN's version.

Soft Cell - Tainted Love / Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love
        I can't stand the Soft Cell version. So damn ****ing whiny. The Manson version, on the other hand, is less whiny and more angry. Therefore, it wins.
        B♭3

Comment

Nah, MM does a shyte job at covering songs.

Comment

That they do.

But the simple fact is that the Soft Cell version is so damn whiny that it's easier to listen to fingernails being dragged across the chalkboard while having jackhammers driven into my brain and a nailgun being shot into my eardrum.

The Marilyn Manson version isn't that bad. Sticking a pencil in my ear is, yes, better than listening to their cover, but it's still better than Soft Cell's version.

Therefore, it wins.
            B♭3

Comment

But then I'm not sure if I've heard the soft cell version before. I know several versions from the 90s, Tainted Love did attract a broad covering movement in that decade...

I'll just say I liked all the versions that I have heard so far much more than the MM one

Comment

Tainted Love with Gloria Jones
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                  Nah, MM does a shyte job at covering songs.
                  They did a good job with Sweet Dreams. I think that version is better than the original.

Metallica has a lot of cover songs and I generally like them better than the originals too.

Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss was much better than the original. The original was some 50's song that took very sad lyrics and paired them with a very upbeat tune. Pearl Jam gave the song a more somber feel.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Whether I prefer the original or a cover often depends on which version I hear first.

Comment

Original is better (and well... original). The music companies must think everyone forgets a song after a few years. People that do most covers should be ashamed of themselves. Doing a tribute is fine, but whatever happened to creativity? I thought a band couldn't even GET a record deal unless they were fresh, new, creative, different, etc.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Not to be too mean, but I think, in some bizarro universe, a good cover could be done of this. Whether that bizarro world exists or not is a matter of debate.

Is it experimental?
                        B♭3

Comment

That song has been removed from their database.

Comment

Would anyone dare do a cover of C*cksucker Blues by the Rolling Stones?
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Soft Cell > Marilyn Manson
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X