No announcement yet.

Anyone use Skype or GoogleTalk (audio)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Skype or GoogleTalk (audio)?

Does anybody here use Skype or Google Talk (w/audio)? If so, what headset do you use? How fast is your connection? Is the quality good?

I'm thinking about buying a headset. The following seems pretty expensive at ~ $300, but it's one of those wireless/earbud type ones.

Here's a wired headset at a more reasonable ~ $90.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Playful just dl Skype. Several I know I have, too.

I'm not going that expensive. Headphones with boom mic, 25 bucks at Best Buy.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Cool. Let me know how that goes.

Here's a wireless/earbud from Motorola. Works with your bluetooth cell phone too. $100.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I use a $15 headset I got from Walmart. Sounds great...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Is it a USB headphone, or do you plug it in to your sound card?

Comment

Shop online at Best Buy in your country and language of choice. Best Buy provides online shopping in a number of countries and languages.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yeah, I just use an ancient headset that came with one of the voice recognition packages I was trying a few years ago...Dragon, I think. From what I've seen and tried, quality has a lot more to do with your ability to put the mic in the right place than the hardware you use. No need to go overboard.
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Is it a USB headphone, or do you plug it in to your sound card?
                Soundcard.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

same.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Thanks, all.

I ended up buying the Plantronics DSP-500 (USB) headset for $46 from buy.com.

Comment

FYI, for fun, compare my mad ping times of google.com to my even madder ping times of talk.google.com.

google.com -- min: 25 milliseconds; max: 42 milliseconds; average: 29 milliseconds

talk.google.com -- min: 9 milliseconds; max: 38 milliseconds; average: 14 milliseconds

Comment

Working...
                      X