Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Quality Assurance solely reliant on software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Quality Assurance solely reliant on software?

Discuss....

no
    Monkey!!!

Comment

This question makes no sense.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The debate in the other thread is should anyone be allowed to develop critical software.

Should aeronautical engineers program the flight system for space shuttles and the landing algorithms for Airbuses?

Should mechanical engineers program the on-board computers in cars?

Should biochem scientists program QA software for drugs?

The answer, overwhelmingly in responsible organizations, is no.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

So what constitutes 'qualified'?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sufficient experience in the field and/or a relevant degree from an accredited institution. Somebody who understands what COCOMO and COCOMO II are, and they aren't bahamas resorts.

Comment

Should aeronautical engineers program the flight system for space shuttles and the landing algorithms for Airbuses?

Should mechanical engineers program the on-board computers in cars?

Should biochem scientists program QA software for drugs?

The answer, overwhelmingly in responsible organizations, is no.
              Nor would I souly assign a software engineer to the job.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Sufficient experience? How do you acquire that then?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  Nor would I souly assign a software engineer to the job.
                  Modern software engineering processes significantly rely on the users of the software (the customer). They simply do not write the code, they have huge roles in the process of developing the software, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Sufficient experience? How do you acquire that then?
                    Writing non-critical software first. Gain experience working on large, complex software before you work on stuff that can impact life and death.

Buy books! They'll help. Not programming books -- software engineering and architecture books. I could give recommendations.

Contribute to open source software (Firefox).

You don't jump right into developing software that deals with pharmaceutical QA.

Comment

Read the other thread. I said I would be 'part of a multidisciplinary team'. Actually, just read what has been said, that would be sufficient.
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        Read the other thread. I said I would be 'part of a multidisciplinary team'. Actually, just read what has been said, that would be sufficient.
                        Then why do your "IT skills" have any relevance?

And you must admit, your quote was:
                        For the record the position I was referring to would have involved development and validation.
                        You gave the impression you'd using your IT skills in software development, and made no effort at all until now to dispell the notion that you'd be developing the software...

Comment

I never thought PH would actually be writing the software. I assumed he would be helping developing the parameters and representing the end user as to the application of the software.

But, apparently Software Writers are Omniscient and don't need any practical knowledge of the process for which the software is being writen.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher is right, the software is already made. My work would have been involved with the implementation and installation. There would have been some of the scripting involved with the system which would definitely have been part of my role.
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

All of which should have been obvious to people who don't thin kof everything in terms of computers...

Comment

Working...
                              X