No announcement yet.

American carrier sunk in the Pacific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, Welsh...you can't beat Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Or Llantrisant-ym-Mechain or Rhosllanerchrugog
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

True, but english names aren't all that easy either. I mean, a city named something like Croucesterhamshiremouthwich would probably be pronounced "Crotch" by you guys.

Comment

I'm right in assuming, that the handkerchief business in Wales is a very stable industry?
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid

hangarfartyg = carrier
              ubåt = submarine
              amerikanskt = american
              Thanks

I can't read ( in Dutch it be something like "hangaarvoertuig") but that doesn't really mean anything put together.

hangaar = silo
              Voertuig = vehicle

You don't have a different word for submarine? Just U-boat?
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

No, but the umbrella industry on the other hand...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                  You don't have a different word for submarine? Just U-boat?
                  There may be some fancy name for it, but nothing that I'm aware of.

Comment

Undervattensbåt
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

That's pretty close to out word: onderzeeboot (underseaboat).

Comment

Duikboot

I like the 'hangaarvaartuig'
                        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Re: Re: American carrier sunk in the Pacific

Originally posted by BeBro

I'm no expert, but I read some of those diesel subs are more difficult to find than the big nuclear subs.
                          I believe this to be true.

I'd be curious to know the parameters of the exercise. Usually a carrier group is believed to have at least one sub of its own in attendance and possibly more and several anti-submarine screening vessels including dipping helicopters. For a single submarine to do evade all that that would be impressive indeed.

Its my understanding that multiple helicopters dropping sonar buoys plus a dipping array can make like holy heck on a sub
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

long tubes full of swedish seamen
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                              Duikboot
                              I like the 'hangaarvaartuig'
                              Oi, I didn't say I use the word.

Diveboat.
                              Last edited by alva; January 17, 2006, 17:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                                No, but the umbrella industry on the other hand...
                                Too damn right, try and find how Machynlleth is pronounced...truly shocking

But then again, Dutch sounds even more horrendous...you lot must have constant sore throats or something

Another funny one is the pronunciation of the Irish port of Dun Laoghaire
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X