Lost in Translation V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Translation V

This is the fifth incarnation of the game, I'll be running it this time. We'll get a bunch of people translating one passage into and out of a bunch of different languages to see how messed up it gets after enough iterations of translation.

So if you want to play please list the languages you can translate from and to and give me some idea (in a 1-10 scale, 10 being your native language 1 being able to ask where the bathroom is) of how good you'd be at translating things to/from those languages.

What I'll try to do this time around is make sure that the first few translations are done by people who're translating between languages that they're relatively fluent in so things don't get TO messed up until later.

I've already decided what source I'm going to use for the translation, I think that the results will be entertaining.
    Stop Quoting Ben

English - 10
    French - 10
    VERLAN - 5
    Finnish - 1
    German - 1
    Swiss German - 1
    Spanish - 1
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

French 10
      English 8
      What?

Comment

Danish: 10
        English: 7
        German: 4
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

translate from: Norwegian 10, English 9, Danish 9, Swedish 8, German 6, Dutch 5

translate to: Norwegian 10, English 9

I'll be quite busy the coming weeks, so I don't think I can spare enough time and brainpower to translate to German this time around.. That language has some badass grammar.
          CSPA

Comment

English: 10
            Chinese: 7
            HTML: 6
            BASIC: 5
            C++: 3
            Spanish: 2
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

French and English both ways.
              Btw, I have a comment.
              I've participated in a few of these, and in my opinion it actually works better when almost all the translaters are very strong.
              It's way more interesting to see a text SLOWLY change meaning with a large number of very good a accurate translations then over the course of one back and forth translation.
              The point of the game is that even if all translations are good, with enough of them it can still get very messy, not that if two people don't know a language at all and translate to and back from it, then the result will suck.

Comment

bump
                Will try to get people translating between languages they're good at, especially in the first few rounds so meaning shifts are gradual not sudden.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

To: English 10, German 5, French 4
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I could probably set my reading skills for German up to 7
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

bumpedy bump
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                      X