Remember Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Afghanistan

"A devastating example of how over-extending the "war on terror" into Iraq is rebounding on the West with vengeance..."

Remember Afghanistan? Insurgents bring suicide terror to country

A suicide bomber yesterday rode into town, killing at least 20 in the deadliest insurgent attack since the US invasion. More than 1,600 were killed in 2005, and the murder rate is rising. The rule of law has collapsed. The government is trapped in its own fortified compound in the capital. Soon, Britain will commit another 3,500 troops to a dangerous mission with no clear goals or exit strategy...
    Oh look, something I said would happen if we invaded Iraq...

Interesting how they're employing the tactics learnt from Iraq: The Terrorist Testing Ground.

What next?
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Suicide bombing was occurring long before Iraq.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I said yesterday the sun will rise next day again and look how I was correct!
      Blah

Comment

Oh my! terrorist in The old Taliban stronghold? I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked!
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Actually, it isn't terrorists per ce, it's the Taliban reconstituted. They never really went away; they and the warlords have pretty much controlled Afghanistan outside of Kabul since the US lost interest in their country and instead turned its sights on the coming conflict with Iraq...
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
            Actually, it isn't terrorists per ce, it's the Taliban reconstituted. They never really went away; they and the warlords have pretty much controlled Afghanistan outside of Kabul since the US lost interest in their country and instead turned its sights on the coming conflict with Iraq...
            No. Karzai has gradually extended his control over such former warlord strongholds as Herat and Muzar e Sharif. Local feudal leaders still exert a lot of influence, (this IS a backward country after all) but in the non-Pashtun regions Karzais hold is pretty firm. In the Pashtun regions the govt controls the towns, and roads. Controls the roads alot better than the USSR ever did, IIUC. But the Taliban are still strong in the villages, esp in Kunar province. Having a quasi-sanctuary in Pakistan certainly helps.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Hey Mobius you should write a book.

Comment

So, wait. Do you want us to kill the terrorists or not?
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Afghani-what?
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

huh?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Osama's been forgotten.

Comment

IIUC

what does that mean?

If I .....?
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

understand correctly
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            So, wait. Do you want us to kill the terrorists or not?
                            Stop being dumb, otherwise I'll have to change my opinion as to whether it suits you...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Soviet Union start with swift initial successes before they got bogged in a quagmire?
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Yep. Course, the USSR had to deal with a US funded and trained terrorist group. All these guys have is a safe haven in the NWT.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X