Win 98 desktop icon problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 98 desktop icon problem

Ok, hopefully there's someone out there who can help me. I have a problem where after running a bunch of programs, whether it be MSPaint, PSP 8.0, Civ 2, my icons get all messed up. Any idea what's causing this? How do I fix this permanently? And no, I wish to keep Windows 98 on this machine...

For example the Christmas Card List is an Excel file...
    Last edited by Harry Tuttle; January 15, 2006, 20:29.

Hmm, is it just excel files, or are other files changing also?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Pretty much everything. Sometimes every single file (not shortcut mind you) switches icons.

Comment

Do they always change to the same icon? (IE does a .xls file always change to a batch file icon?)

Comment

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-130 - try their solution, I'm not sure it will fix the problem permanently as I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

It might be helpful to try and identify if one specific program is causing the corruption?

Comment

Ahhh... it looks like this might be the fix you need

Windows apparently has a small maximum size of its icon cache, and that means that it can become corrupt easily.

Comment

This btw seems to be the specific correction needed, amongst the large list they give you:

• Using Registry Editor, add the Max Cached Icons string value with a value data of 2000 to the following registry key, and then restart your computer:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer
              If the icons are still incorrect, delete the ShellIconCache file. The Max Cached Icons value data range is between 100 and 4096. The default value is 500.

Comment

Cool! Thanks Snoopy. I will try that.

Comment

God I thought I was the only one that still used that thing.......... I have it for playing old dos games that emus and the like don't play flawlessly..... but I use XP now for everything else.
                  "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Working...
                  X