Presidential Elections FIRST ROUND!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Elections FIRST ROUND!

Today is the day that we might get or might not get a president.

Polls show that the current president Tarja Halonen is a clear favourite, the official candidate for SDP and the lefties.

Now there are 8 candidates, 3 major candidates (Tarja, Matti Vanhanen and Sauli Niinistö), and if one candidate gets 50% or more in the first round, it's victory for that candidate tonight.

IF no one can get that, the two who got the most votes will go heads up soon, and another round of voting goes down.

It's very exciting, I just came back from voting, felt great about it (to use my power as a citizen, and just a regular one because even SC can't get more than one vote, not even a supervote). My only wish is that it goes to second round, I know at least one fellow Finn here is hoping she wins today straight up, but I just hope it goes to second round even if she wins there, because it would show at least some kind of activity within this society.

Exciting times! This be the official Finnish presidential elections thread today.

Tarja is going DOWN!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Go #4!

Comment

I vote for the Finn with the most bizarre name.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oerdin, ok here are the names:

Tarja Halonen (current president, former SDP, since can't be .. for their old party anymore)

Heidi Hautala (Also a woman, Green party, doesn't think Finland needs an army etc. Concerned about environment in here and also globally)

Bjarne Kallis (Christians, but is not a fundamentalist by any means, actually has done very well, but still, a bit different from others with that Christian thing running high)

Arto Lahti (professor of business and stuff, extremely smart, knows Europe and business inside out, not in any party but gathered 20 000 names to run. Will get the least votes, not the material. But smart in his own field, economy)

Henry Lax (Swedish party. Has done reasonably well, but no chance in hell)

Sauli Niinistö (National coalition, major candidate. The conservative party in Finland, could have won last time but refused to run. Now Tarja has the edge this time. Speciality is economy stuff)

Timo Soini (From small and weird party. Hates the EU, doesn't like NATO, pretty much likes his own village and outside that everything is a threat. Also doesn't like refugees. Generally he doesn't like. No chance in hell.)

Matti Vanhanen (Current PM, Centre party. Major candidate. Looks after farmers benefits. Is actually pretty smart too, but super colourless. You will fall into coma listening to this dude).

So there they are. Tarja is number one favourite, but Vanhanen and Niinistö are pretty much tied up, and are challenging Tarja for second round, if it happens, which one of them gets there, we will know tonight!!

Exciting!
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Go Tarja!!!
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Jarkko Ruutu
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I'd be tempted to vote for Henry Lax. I mean the man has half of "Ex Lax" in his name. I think I might vote for Sauli Niinistö though since he has the most Finnish sounding name. With a name like Sauli Niinistö how can I go wrong? Then again Bjarne Kallis has a very Scandinavian sounding name.
              Last edited by Dinner; January 15, 2006, 04:10.

Comment

Vote Väinämöinen for President !!!!
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I don't understand?

Wasn't there already a poll on this where we got to pick the Finnish president?

What do you mean, you didn't see it through?

You're showing some serious disrespect towards this forum. See if I will bother to choose you a president again. Not bloody likely

Comment

it was a picture thread, besides the elections are today so this was a necessary thread.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Suuri Suomi - Uraliin Asti!!!
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Threads like this prove that the Finnish cultural empire continues to spread around the world via the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          Arto Lahti (professor of business and stuff, extremely smart, knows Europe and business inside out, not in any party but gathered 20 000 names to run. Will get the least votes, not the material. But smart in his own field, economy)
                          He also wears a dorky bowtie and supports the utterly unrealistic idea of asking Russia to return Karelia
                          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

It can't hurt to ask.

Comment

Go Conan!!!1

Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                              X