X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making parrallellogram shaped tiles for a game

Hello,

I'm quite new here and the only reason why I dropped in is this:

I'm making a web based game (actually quite popular at the moment), but for the next version I would like to go more "graphical".

Currently I use a boring 2d square-tiled map, but for the next version I would like to go 3d-like by using parallellogram-like tiles.

The only problem is:
    How do I convert a square tile to a parallellogram tile?
    I've did some experimentation in Gimp (a program like photoshop) but it's hard

So, if you have any idea, please reply :-)

Thanks,
    Thijs.

Btw, you can find the game here:

V04 (the next version) is not playable yet, so it's not open yet.

Why the registration?

There is an spelling error in your credits page btw.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Because it's a "game"
      How are you going to play a game without registration?

+ I know there are spelling mistypes... I'm working on them (I'm not english speaking, that's the problem).

Comment

I am not sure how you want to do it. Conceptually it's very easy.

Do you have the image of a square and want to make it into a parallelogram?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yes, but it has to look like it's a "floor"... so, I make a "top view" of a floor (let's say one with "warning signs" on it), then I want to "turn it in the z-axis": making it a parallellogram...

Comment

Rotate 45 degrees, then resize vertical dimension to 50%. This will get you an isometric tile like those in Civ2.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Thanks... it already looks quite good

Comment

But then again... this isn't really what I'm looking for...
                I'm looking for a way to make parallellogram-shaped tiles.

I'm discussing with my support team to use this system, but is there an easy way to make the parallellogram tiles?

Comment

Well, they're "parallellogram-shaped" and they're "tiles."

Are you saying you want them to look more 3-D? Probably the best was to achieve that effect is to put objects on the tiles: mountains, houses, trees, etc. If the objects on the bottom of the tile overlap the ones higher up on the tile, it'll give them a 3-D effect.

Comment

Originally posted by daedeloth

I'm discussing with my support team to use this system, but is there an easy way to make the parallellogram tiles?
                    MS paint. Image -> Stretch/Skew -> Enter an angle in skew
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Why parellelogram? In other games I've seen diamonds and hexes but never parallelograms.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by daedeloth
                        I am not sure you are looking for parallelograms. Perhaps you mean rhombus?
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

rhombuses are parallelograms
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

rhombi

?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Roh no! A Rhombie!

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                              X