No announcement yet.

Why does music suck now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In ten years, Rufus, you will say the same about 2006, I predict, not having bought a 2006 release yet

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
      In ten years, Rufus, you will say the same about 2006, I predict, not having bought a 2006 release yet
      Nah, but that's only because I've stopped buying new music altogether. As far as I can recall (not being at home now, I can't check), I've only purchased six new releases in the last 5 years -- two of which were jazz albums (and a third was by Ozlem Tekin, an alt rock goddess no one outside of Turkey has ever heard of). I haven't a freakin' clue what's going on in contemporary popular music.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I just hope I'm alive in ten years, frankly!

Comment

Okay the year I graduated HS wasn't too bad....at least by this biased poll. There still be crap on her though.

We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

what about 1994?

where can you find that ranking?
            I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

"Way back when
              In Sixty-seven
              I was the dandy
              Of Gamma Chi
              Sweet things from Boston
              So young and willing
              Moved down to Scarsdale
              Where the hell am I
              Hey Nineteen
              No we can't dance together
              No we can't talk at all
              Please take me along
              When you slide on down

Hey Nineteen
              That's 'Retha Franklin
              She don't remember
              The Queen of Soul

It's hard times befallen
              The sole survivors
              She thinks I'm crazy
              But I'm just growing old"
              You know I have to play my Steely Dan collection now, right?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I've actually been on a bit of a 70s kick the past few days.

I've acquired:

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
                Zombies - Time of the Season
                The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
                Steelers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle With You

of course, this is in addition to ("new music")...

Fall Out Boy - Dance Dance
                Mobile - Montreal Calling
                Bedouin Soundclash - When The night Feels My Song
                Metric - Monster Hospital

(It just occured to me that 3 of the 4 bands are Canadian)
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  The OP point is less obvious, though, if we look at a year like 1977. 1977 is one of the truly great years for music. Look at the albums: it's the year Elvis Costello released "My Aim Is True" and Talking Heads released "Talking Heads '77," the year David Bowie released both "Low" and "Heroes," the year the Sex Pistols released "Never Mind the Bollocks," the year Iggy Pop released "Lust for Life," the year the Ramones released "Rocket to Russia" (the greatest of all Ramones albums, featuring Sheena is a Punk Rocker, Teenage Lobotomy, Do You Wanna Dance? and Surfin Bird). It was the year Stevie Wonder released "Songs in the Key of Life" and Bob Marley released "Exodus." It also was a titanic year for AOR ("Hotel California," "Rumours," Boston's debut album), which was not my thing but surely has its fans.

And yet, here's the Billboard Top 20 for 1977; note especially the disco theme to Star Wars at #9:

Clearly, you can't judge a year by its charts.
                  A) Yes, that was a good year.

B) Part of what we are seeing are the results of the shifting of the radio spectrum into specialized subgenres aimed at smaller and much more distinct demographic slices. Look at the list from 1965, there's folk, rock, pop, jazz and a fair number of show tunes. There were actually stations that played most of that stuff back then. Now there are fewer people listening to the radio (more TV and recorded music, internet etc.), and more and more stations being forced to appeal to smaller groups.

This is why many of us oldsters have never heard of a lot of "popular" music. When we were kids we watched the Doors (or whomever) with our Dad on Ed Sullivan. Those cross-generational and broader cultural experiences we received via television and radio are rarer these days.

C) My father was a dj back in the 1960s, and I remember that he gave me a transistor radio for my birthday when I was in the 1st grade. I pre-arranged with him to have him give a shout out to me and my school and play "Downtown" for me at recess time. My friends were impressed.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

It's the audience. The audience was better then, so the music was better.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                      and two gentlemen named Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel were working on their second album

Originally posted by Jaguar
                      and a young band calling itself The Doors began practicing in L.A.
                      Stop writing like a second rate documentary voice over!

Comment

Top ten wasn't to bad the year I graduated too. Alternative still meant something and bands like Green Day, Weezer, The Cranberries, and Offspring still hadn't sold out. Those were the days.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I was born on January 1, 1965 and assigned the mission of making music suck. I had a deadline of 2010. I'm early.
                          What?

Comment

good job Richelieu
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

the top list for 1965 sucks

the top list for 2005 sucks
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

Stop writing like a second rate documentary voice over!
                                It's fun, though.
                                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X