Oprah's been HAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oprah's been HAD!

In an October 26 show entitled "The Man Who Kept Oprah Awake At Night," Winfrey hailed Frey's graphic and coarse book as "like nothing you've ever read before. Everybody at Harpo is reading it. When we were staying up late at night reading it, we'd come in the next morning saying, 'What page are you on?'" In emotional filmed testimonials, employees of Winfrey's Harpo Productions lauded the book as revelatory, with some choking back tears. When the camera then returned to a damp-eyed Winfrey, she said, "I'm crying 'cause these are all my Harpo family so, and we all loved the book so much."

But a six-week investigation by The Smoking Gun reveals that there may be a lot less to love about Frey's runaway hit, which has sold more than 3.5 million copies and, thanks to Winfrey, has sat atop The New York Times nonfiction paperback best seller list for the past 15 weeks. Next to the latest Harry Potter title, Nielsen BookScan reported Friday, Frey's book sold more copies in the U.S. in 2005--1.77 million--than any other title, with the majority of that total coming after Winfrey's selection.

Police reports, court records, interviews with law enforcement personnel, and other sources have put the lie to many key sections of Frey's book. The 36-year-old author, these documents and interviews show, wholly fabricated or wildly embellished details of his purported criminal career, jail terms, and status as an outlaw "wanted in three states."

In additon to these rap sheet creations, Frey also invented a role for himself in a deadly train accident that cost the lives of two female high school students. In what may be his book's most crass flight from reality, Frey remarkably appropriates and manipulates details of the incident so he can falsely portray himself as the tragedy's third victim. It's a cynical and offensive ploy that has left one of the victims' parents bewildered. "As far as I know, he had nothing to do with the accident," said the mother of one of the dead girls. "I figured he was taking license...he's a writer, you know, they don't tell everything that's factual and true."

Frey appears to have fictionalized his past to propel and sweeten the book's already melodramatic narrative and help convince readers of his malevolence. "I was a bad guy," Frey told Winfrey. "If I was gonna write a book that was true, and I was gonna write a book that was honest, then I was gonna have to write about myself in very, very negative ways." That is repeatedly apparent in his memoir, which announces, "I am an Alcoholic and I am a drug Addict and I am a Criminal." It is an incantation he repeats eight times in the book, always making sure to capitalize the 'c' in Criminal.

But he has demonstrably fabricated key parts of the book, which could--and probably should--cause a discerning reader (and Winfrey has ushered millions of them Frey's way) to wonder what is true in "A Million Little Pieces" and its sequel, "My Friend Leonard."

When TSG confronted him Friday (1/6) afternoon with our findings, Frey refused to address the significant conflicts we discovered between his published accounts and those contained in various police reports. When we suggested that he might owe millions of readers and Winfrey fans an explanation for these discrepancies, Frey, now a publishing powerhouse, replied, "There's nothing at this point can come out of this conversation that, that is good for me."

It was the third time since December 1 that we had spoken with Frey, who told us Friday that our second interview with him, on December 14, had left him so "rattled" that he went out and hired Los Angeles attorney Martin Singer, whose law firm handles litigation matters for A-list stars like Jennifer Aniston, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Britney Spears. While saying that he had initially asked his counsel not to send us a pre-publication legal letter, Frey apparently relented late Friday night. That's when Singer e-mailed us a five-page letter threatening a lawsuit (and the prospect of millions in damages) if we published a story stating that Frey was "a liar and/or that he fabricated or falsified background as reflected in 'A Million Little Pieces.'"

There is far more on The Smoking Gun link.

One of the biggest cons in (supposed) non-fiction? Though it is nice to see Oprah get slammed .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

I never understood what was the source of her popularity. On the rare occasions that I've watched a little of her shows, I've always had to spend at least an hour getting my toes straightened out again.

Comment

[Capt. Jack Sparrow Mode]
      Pirate
      [/Capt. Jack Sparrow Mode]

Comment

If someone had had Oprah they'd definitely need therapy.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Well, what do you expect from a...Criminal?
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy paid Oprah some of the money he made in order to promote this...

she's a scumbag

it's no surprise she is helping other scumbags make money

oprah is very smart... it's unlikely she was "had"... IMO, she will act like she was duped, but in the end, play the role of the victim and score points with her audience and act liked she got conned
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I tried to care about this, but I've failed...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Uh . . . . .

why is Oprah a scumbag?? Is it because of her charitable Angel Network that helps people? Or her assistance in publicizing the efforts of other charitable works in her past shows??
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                    Uh . . . . .

why is Oprah a scumbag?? Is it because of her charitable Angel Network that helps people? Or her assistance in publicizing the efforts of other charitable works in her past shows??
                    It's because she's a whiny skank.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Better question: why does MrFun, without fail, make baby Jesus cry?

Comment

Uh . . . . .

her insisting on getting in a French store after it closed.

Comment

Uh . . . . .

so naive
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            Better question: why does MrFun, without fail, make baby Jesus cry?
                            Because he was made for a simpler age, when all you needed to be a good motherf*cking servant of the Lord was spanking some Arab cavalrymen.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              I wouldn't be surprised if the guy paid Oprah some of the money he made in order to promote this...

it's no surprise she is helping others make money

oprah is very smart... it's unlikely she was "had"... IMO, she will act like she was duped, but in the end, play the role of the victim and score points with her audience and act liked she got conned
                              This is my take, because the way I see it, she, like Cuba say Show me da money

I think Oprah does some good things, but I do not know the motives for these alms?

Is it to help the victims/less fortunate person or is it to help her image?

It really doesnt matter what we say, because we will probably never know for sure. I will not go as far as calling her a scumbag, that title I chose as for many dastardly lowlifes that dupe unknowing people for money..wait..Hold da Presses isnt that what she may be doing here?

I mean, please judge her by the company she keeps

Didnt I hear about Oprah Winfrey getting busted in Los Angelas for drugs about 5 years ago Yeah, they did a search on her, made her lift her skirt and found 2 pounds of Crack

Sorry, couldnt resist
                              Attached Files
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                              X