• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS

Scotch Irish, if you please.
    Scotch is a drink....."Scots Irish"

Comment

Why would Marin County be so Irish? I don't think we even have a single Irish pub.

And at the map of Puerto Rico - "Puerto Ricans have Puerto Rican ancestry? Well I never!"
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

That might be correct, strictly speaking. But we always use "Scotch Irish" on this side of the pond, so it has become an acceptable moniker.
        Last edited by DanS; January 9, 2006, 12:47.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Scotch Irish? AA nightmare
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Red River Valley = little Norway, like I didn't already know that. Around here the most common ethnicites ariund here, IIRC, are Norwegian, German, Swedish, and Finnish, in that order.

Pekka should move to the UP of Michigan.

Comment

Why? I should go where I can be the only Finn. So I can properly represent the country and give everyone the correct image.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

by opening a gay grocery store?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Wonder how different the world would be if German was the official language of the US... Die Vereinigten Staaten, eine Nation unter Gott!

Comment

In my home town, the first newspaper was in German. But everything quickly changed to English in the mid-1800s.

Besides, we don't have any official language in the US, let alone German.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

scot irish are those ireland ulster protestants right?
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Give it up. You're all Yanks anyway.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Was sagst du?!
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Ich sag', du bist ein verdammter Yankee!
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Not having the original link to the article about said graph, I have to assume they did this by census data (based on the '2000' date); that's horribly unreliable. Basically, they ask you what ethnicity you are, where you came from etc. - hence "American" is just "people who consider themselves of american ancestry, and not english, german, italian, etc." ... hence the South, our most patriotic area, where a lot of people take offense to the concept of being from some other country originally. OTOH, you have the east coast, just as American as the south, but most people there are proud to be irish, or scots, or scotch, or whatever

And "German" is a meaningless term, in this study anyway. If they're going to split welsh/scotlandish/english/etc., they need to split up the various german subethnicities too
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                                scot irish are those ireland ulster protestants right?
                                Yep. That's why there are so many fundies and fried foods in the South.

Comment

Working...
                                X