No announcement yet.

Shanghai Real Estate Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's talking about a 10% down, 20% loan, 70% loan scenario. I doubt he would have to pay insurance on the 70% loan.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
      Haven't decided whether to do it because the cost of housing here is so high. One place I'm looking at, a new flat, is selling for HK$3.5 million, or $450,000 for 600 sq feet.
      For people who live outside Hong Kong, you can't use all of this 600 sq feet. Public areas such as the stairwells, the lifts, the lift lobby on your floor, the main entrance foyer, etc. all count. Say there are 4 flats to a floor than you get 25% of all public areas to your "credit." If there is some kind of "club house," etc. a % of that goes towards the 600 sq. feet also.

In the end, you're lucky if you get 70% to use.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Dunno if this is also true in Hong Kong, but in Taiwan you can use the public areas such as stairwells and lobbies for storage, motorcycle parking, etc.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

For Wang Suxian, the tale of two lines illustrates how the bubble has burst.

When home prices were at the tail end of the boom in March, Wang hired two migrant workers to stand in line for a chance to buy units in what the developer said was modeled after an apartment community on New York's Park Avenue.

The workers waited 72 hours, including cold nights, but the 35-year-old was thrilled to come away with two apartments, one for $110,000, about the average price for a new home in Shanghai, and another for $170,000. They were among Wang's four investment properties.

And for a short period, Wang believed she was raking in hundreds of dollars a day for doing nothing, as property prices in the city kept soaring.

But today, prices at the complex have fallen by a third, and the lines of frenzied buyers are gone. Wang is among dozens who are fighting the developer to take the apartments back.

On a recent frosty morning, she stood in a line herself with about 40 other buyers outside the builder's headquarters, demanding that it negotiate a deal to return their money. "This is ridiculous," Wang huffed.

The company, Da Hua Group, invited Wang and other homeowners inside, served them hot tea, then told them to forget it.

Good for them. I don't see why the builder should take a bath to save the stupid speculators.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

was anyone else disappointed to open this thread and find it wasn't about a kung-fu movie?
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              He's talking about a 10% down, 20% loan, 70% loan scenario. I doubt he would have to pay insurance on the 70% loan.
              Ahh.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                X