Lib Democrat Leader Admits to being a Drunk, Party in Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lib Democrat Leader Admits to being a Drunk, Party in Crisis

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I wonder who's the Liar now...
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Just three weeks ago:

Asked if he drank too much, Mr Kennedy replied: "No. And if people have that concern, they should not have that concern, you're sitting right next to me now, you can tell and you see me prove regularly that I'm as healthy as healthy can be.

"But, equally as a public figure and as a party leader, perception is extremely important. Now I can't prove negatives, nobody can prove negatives in life, all I can do is demonstrate that I'm on form, firing on all cylinders and up for the task in hand."

Asked if he was cutting back on alcohol, he said: "Yes, I'm actually an extremely moderate and infrequent consumer of alcohol as a matter of fact."

When asked if it had been a "battle to stay off the booze" and whether he had any medical support at all, he said: "No, no, no, that is not the case, it is a matter on all fronts - if there's something my doctor really wants me to do over this holiday period as a matter of fact is give us smoking, and I think he's right."
    A whole load more quotes at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4586948.stm

And he only confessed to try to gain political credit. Actually he was 1 hour from being out-ed by a news channel.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Churchill was a bit of a boozer too, didn't you guys recently elect him a greatest Bwitton...like ever.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I would've never thought drinking could be an actual liability in British politics.

Comment

if Kennedy is a drunk then Im a binge drinking alcoholic

so whats new here? No smoking gun that I can see (''Kennedy falls off the wagon shocker'')
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

As PA said the guy jumped before the was pushed....no politician admits to something like that unless he has to.

Comment

The point is that his drinking was probably why he wasn't serving the party very well in responding to the whole Cameron threat. My prediction - unless the Lib Dems get a magical new leader, they'll see some serious losses in the next general election. People won't care as much about the Iraq war by then.
              mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

It's not necessarily a problem. After all the current US President is someone who overcame a drink problem.

But CK has been on his way out for a way. I like him as a person and he's done good things for the Lib Dems but he's not the strongest leader. Even as a Lib Dem I'm not sure I'd have wanted him as PM.

Will be interesting to see who wins. It'll certainly be interesting to contrast it with the Conservatives leadership election.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Ted Kennedy is an alky. So what, this has to be the most known secret. I knew about it when I was in middle school in Atlanta in the 80's. There was a GQ article on it.
                  What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                  What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Originally posted by Pax
                    Ted Kennedy is an alky. So what, this has to be the most known secret. I knew about it when I was in middle school in Atlanta in the 80's. There was a GQ article on it.

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        Typical Yank, can't see past his own backyard.....

Comment

Yeah, I do find it rather alarming...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

Typical Yank, can't see past his own backyard.....
                            I'm not sure how/why you're insulting me when I'm pointing out that I knew Ted Kennedy was an alky when was 11 years old living over a thousand miles from him. I'm saying why call him out now. He's been doing for over 20 years. I would have to say that UK news may have trouble with there investigative journalism if there newsflash is 20 years time late and an 11 year could have told them.
                            What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                            What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Originally posted by Pax
                              I'm not sure how/why you're insulting me when I'm pointing out that I knew Ted Kennedy was an alky when was 11 years old living over a thousand miles from him. I'm saying why call him out now. He's been doing for over 20 years. I would have to say that UK news may have trouble with there investigative journalism if there newsflash is 20 years time late and an 11 year could have told them.
                              Priceless!!! Keep 'em coming Pax!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X