RIAA... again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA... again

Record labels and their lobby group, RIAA, continued their jihad against the P2P networks, despite various evidence showing a constant growth in P2P use. Additionally, during the year 2005, record labels turned their attention to their only real cash-cow in online world, Apple's iTunes. Several record label executives made public demands to raise the prices of songs sold via iTunes. Most of them wanted to see a model where each song could be individually priced -- exact opposite of Steve Jobs' idea of flat-fee pricing that made iTunes so popular in the first place.

In addition to P2P and iTunes, several lyrics websites were targeted by music industry as well. Most of the people fail to see what is the incentive for music industry to go after websites providing lyrics for fans, even tho the illegal nature of such sites is clear. The biggest problem for most users was really to understand how distribution of song lyrics hurts labels' profits.

Now that 2005 has come to an end, major music labels can assess their sales over the past 12 months. To the annoyance of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), music CD sales in the U.S. dropped by about 3.5% according to Nielsen Soundscan. CD sales had risen by 2.3% in 2004 and the music companies were quick to applaud their anti-piracy efforts and gave those efforts full credibility for the rise in CD sales. However, now faced with a 3.5% drop, the same companies are blaming piracy all over again.

However, looking back over the past year, the collective anti-piracy efforts of both the music and movie industries on the Internet reached a whole new level of toughness. Specifically, the entertainment industry has the U.S. Supreme Court Grokster ruling under it's belt, which then led to many P2P services disappearing or changing completely. Now add on the 7,000+ lawsuits from the RIAA against P2P users and the Australian Kazaa case; it was a good year for anti-piracy efforts (from the music industry's usual point of view).

So that brings us to a question; if the music industry cited the 2004 anti-piracy efforts for the rise of music sales, then why were their anti-piracy efforts ineffective in 2005? Perhaps the answer is simply that the RIAA was wrong in 2004? One thing that is easily forgotten by music companies is that economical changes affect sales all around the world - sometimes people have less or more money to spend on music. Then you must remember that technology advances lead to new "must have" products every year that consumers buy up, leaving them with less money to spend on music. Then, there is also another factor; maybe less people were really interested in the music selection major labels provided in 2004.

It seems the the major music labels of the world believe that all their customers have the same amount of money each year and spend it on the same things. New gadgets like Sony's PlayStation Portable and new iPods (and other MP3 players) in 2005 were purchased with many consumers' spare cash, leaving them less money to spend on music. Also, take into account some of the recent natural disasters in the world, such as the December 2004 Asian tsunami disaster which saw many people donating large amounts of money in early 2005 to help out. There are countless things that are not music-related that could have contributed to the drop in CD sales.

Legal music downloads have also grown in popularity. Many consumers now have turned from buying CDs and instead just pay for single downloads instead of full albums on CD. Does piracy affect music sales? Of course it does but can it be solely blamed for CD sales drops in 2005? That's very doubtful. It is probably just easier for the music companies to blame piracy (particularly file sharing piracy) for drops in CD sales than to accept that some consumers were less interested in music in 2005 for example.

Source:
    The Register

the real problem is the radio playlist. so many songs come out a week, but so few are added to the playlist on the average week. if we hear more than 6 songs a day maybe wed buy more than one album a year.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy

I graduated on this subject. I researched the role of ethical disposition and artist identification on the procurement decision.

Primarily based on data collected from people who both download and buy music (very) frequently, the two factors do play a driving role. If people appreciate the work of an artist, they'll likely buy it.

The RIAA and similar organizations are very myopic on piracy. There have also been studies showing that, for software, piracy leads to higher adoption and eventual diffusion through the legal channels. There is this great resistance against Internet piracy despite past forms of piracy eventually being embraced, such as radio and VHS-recording.

Comment

eventually they will self-destruct, but it will take time.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
        I graduated on this subject. I researched the role of ethical disposition and artist identification on the procurement decision.

Primarily based on data collected from people who both download and buy music (very) frequently, the two factors do play a driving role. If people appreciate the work of an artist, they'll likely buy it.

The RIAA and similar organizations are very myopic on piracy. There have also been studies showing that, for software, piracy leads to higher adoption and eventual diffusion through the legal channels. There is this great resistance against Internet piracy despite past forms of piracy eventually being embraced, such as radio and VHS-recording.
        Their actions are also making people like me less supportive. A couple of years ago I would be willing to buy CDs if I liked the artist (still will if it is a smaller label). But with the anti-piracy actions, for example, me not being able to play my own damn CD on my own damn computer, and especially this recent debacle regarding Sony's piracy prevention, it's put me off altogether. So screw you record industry!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'd love to be an attorney for the RIAA
          talk about job security
          suing everyone in the US between the ages of 7 and 79 must take some time, and at $400/hour!
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
            Yep, they´ll very probably use the piracy argument,
            to once again increase the prices for CDs/DVDs
            and once more anger their customers by
            implementing even more restrictive copy protection mechanisms
            and persecuting even more people due to suspected involvements in P2P-networks (no matter if they´re innocent or not )

Of course they will never get the idea to make their CDs more attractive by lowering prices or produce music with higher quality

Same of course goes for GEMA, the german music Association
            (many german musicians even avoid getting member in GEMA, as GEMA has very strict treaties, not even allowing the musicians themselves to distribute their music for free [which GEMA can as upon signing the treaty all the rights of the songs the musician produces from this point on will go to GEMA])
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
              Is there any way to hasten their demise?
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

There are very few good songs on major labels. Instead the independent labels seem to be the only ones going out on a limb and finding new talent which they invest time and energy into developing and producing a CD. Instead of innovating the major laels have resorted to resigning the same old crap bands (Wow, another Madonna or Britney Spears CD? :Blah: ) or trying to get successful indie bands to jump label. Rarely do they ever take a new and untested band and release a CD for them thus rarely do major labels ever have anything innovative and interesting.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                X