No announcement yet.

Prefab Houses -- question about Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suggest that we not support the evil Inter IKEA Systems B.V. empire further, but the 'splosions sound like good fun.

CI: Yes, those are the type that was discussed. It need not be shipped in one piece. Could be several.

Do you see those types of houses "all the time" or is it more of an occasional thing?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Here are some example pics of the modern style...

Attached Files
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Well there probably would be a lot of prefab houses here if anyone built a lot of houses. This must be the most apartment-ridded country in the world, you get high-rises towering above the rice fields out in the boonies sometimes
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            CI: Yes, those are the type that was discussed. It need not be shipped in one piece. Could be several.

Do you see those types of houses "all the time" or is it more of an occasional thing?
            Almost all new houses around here are of that type. It has been the standard for quite some time now.

Interesting houses you posted by the way
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

My neighbour is marketing manager for one the major prefab housing companies. The parts are built in the factory in my home town, then shipped by truck and assembled on the spot where you want them. It's not comparable to trailers at all, as the houses are too big to be transported in full assembly. And I've never heard of anyone moving a prefab house, that would be something really desperate. Sizes range from 120-200 m2.

Here are some houses:

So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Duh, pics don't show, let's try this
                Attached Files
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Don't know about the picture CI posted, but the ones Dan and CO posted are nicer than 99% of the houses in Canada and the US.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Probably a lot more expensive per ft^2, however. Not so sure I prefer the houses I posted either. CO's pic looks nice, though it would need to be modified to fit the American taste (change car port to 2 - 3 car garage for big ass SUVs, more square footage, bigger lawn contemplated, etc.). Compare to Flubber's house, which seems pretty typical for a biggish, but not quite McMansion-type house.

CO: How much does that cost per m^2?
                    Last edited by DanS; January 3, 2006, 20:17.

Comment

Here are some example pics of the modern style...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.01/prefab.html
                      The house that LEGOs built.

Comment

Probably a lot more expensive per ft^2, however. Not so sure I prefer the houses I posted either. CO's pic looks nice, though it would need to be modified to fit the American taste (change car port to 2 - 3 car garage for big ass SUVs, more square footage, bigger lawn contemplated, etc.). Compare to Flubber's house, which seems pretty typical for a biggish, but not quite McMansion-type house.

CO: How much does that cost per m^2?
                        Garage is optional, you can get anything you need (if you pay for it, naturally).

The company where my neigbour works do a lot of export to Japan, but I'm not sure if they use the same models there. He is the "Senior vice president" named on this link.

The size of the lawn depends on where you build your house. But I've noticed the city planners have made the gardens smaller in recent years, while the houses are rarely built with a basement any longer, which means that they make a larger footprint for the same living area. So not much room for a lawn. My garden is 2500 m2, but gardens for new houses nowadays are much smaller.

I haven't checked prices for new houses recently, but I would guess they are in the 1000-1500 €/m2 range. 10 years ago, I made a calculation for building a small house on land I already owned, and concluded I could get my mother's old 400 m2 house for about the same price as a new 150 m2. Building a new house has become ridicilously expensive compared to buying an old one.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Another reason for slow adoptance of prefab in the US, besides the trailer image, is a wide difference in lot sizes, zoning, and building codes in different parts of the country. With each site being different, its hard to get a prefab that sits on the lot in an optimal way. The country itself is pretty big also, adding to transport costs.

What is gaining popularity are SIPs - structural insulated panels, essentially premade sections of wall in standard dimensions.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Lot sizes really do vary quite a bit in the US.

(1) My sis bought a house in a development near Chicago with a plot size of a little more than 1/4 acre (1,000 m^2).

(2) Two years later she bought a house in a development near New Orleans with a plot size of about 1/2 acre (2,000 m^2).

(3) Plot sizes near where I grew up in exurbia, Ohio routinely are 1 to 2 acres (4,000 m^2 to 8,000 m^2) apiece.

(4) The house in which I grew up had a 3 acre (12,000 m^2) lot plus about 10 acres in farmland.
                            Last edited by DanS; January 4, 2006, 10:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                              ...while the houses are rarely built with a basement any longer...
                              Any particular reason for this? In the US, there are parts where they don't build basements (New Orleans, etc.), but basements are very often built. It depends on the development or whether you are building custom.

Building a new house has become ridicilously expensive compared to buying an old one.
                              This decidedly isn't the case in most of the US. The prices are roughly comparable.

Comment

The house that LEGOs built.
                                my thoughts exactly. Sweden is one big Legoland.
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X