No announcement yet.

Provost in Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a DMZ tour. It sounds dumb but it is actually very entertaining.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
      You know I'm always up for more won...

define 'summer'. Test prep/HS age students?? Or what....this isn't some kindy thing that nobody else wants to do is it...

What about plane ticket/accomodations (I can buy my own if remuneration is appropriate)

Still living in the old place? Any bouncing bambinos en route?

But sure I'd love to go back for a summer, kill a few super-sakes. You have my gmail?
      Summer = American high school summer vacation basically. Classes from the beginning of June to most of the way through August.

Mostly SAT test prep, with some novel reading/writing thrown in. They only hire Americans (mostly gyopo college students on vacations) from good colleges, but I might be able to sneak you in somehow If you can convince the bossman that your grad school work is relevant you should be able to get it.

No plane ticket, but they provide housing and 30,000 won an hour. Nice gig.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Well let him know I'm interested and e-mail me his e-mail address so I can send him my info.
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

Anyway, PH you might be able to see an old-style Korean wedding on Feb 25th . This place it a trip, but I like it here.
          Dude, haven't you two only been dating for a year? Even by Korean standards that one is fast, isn't it?

Still, I expect lots of pictures to be posted.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well let him know I'm interested and e-mail me his e-mail address so I can send him my info.
            OK will do. But he probably won't start hiring for the summer until March at the earliest. Also, gotta warn you that it might be hard (it's mostly SAT prep so they pretty much just want Americans) unless you can talk a good line about the linguistics stuff you've been studying (what have you been studying exactly? still applied linguistics?).
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Dude, haven't you two only been dating for a year? Even by Korean standards that one is fast, isn't it?

Still, I expect lots of pictures to be posted.
              Been dating for over two years, thanks to Seeker giving me confusing directions and me getting lost (long story)
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Married already? Blimey...

Well I will have to confirm the exact date once I know...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Stay away from the Pizza Hut in Seoul. I have never seen so much grease in a single pizza my whole life. Try to get to Panmunjon if you can. Its worth the trip.
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I really don't think PH is the kind of guy to go to Pizza Hut on a trip to a far-off country like Korea...

Comment

But Korean Pizza Hut is of itself an exotic experience!!

If they are that set on having Yankees...

I have to admit I've never taken any SAT except the LSAT, so if it's that important I may not be cut out for this. And phonology (morphemes and crap) is more like "theory" of linguistics than any 'application'.

But I guess I could still start checking Dave's for non-SAT summer stuff in Seoul now that you've reminded me.

It would also be a big help if you kinda asked around a little bit if anyone from other hagwon are running a summer programme...
                      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

But Korean Pizza Hut is of itself an exotic experience!!

If they are that set on having Yankees...

I have to admit I've never taken any SAT except the LSAT, so if it's that important I may not be cut out for this. And phonology (morphemes and crap) is more like "theory" of linguistics than any 'application'.

But I guess I could still start checking Dave's for non-SAT summer stuff in Seoul now that you've reminded me.

It would also be a big help if you kinda asked around a little bit if anyone from other hagwon are running a summer programme...
                        Well the hagwon also says novel reading/writing classes and they generally have whities teach those, so you do have a shot you just don't really fit the demographic niche that the bossman wants, but you'd definately have my recommendation...

The master's course could be good for prestige even if it's not useful in teaching (we had a lot of Ivy Leage college students last year, some as young as 19 and a lot of them were useless at teaching).
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

PM sent, might be more convenient to continue this conversation by e-mail...

I have taught a LOT of writing classes to high schoolers, in fact reading/writing was one of the main things I did at my first hagwon.

Comment

Thanks for threadjacking lads, now GET YOUR OWN BLEEDING THREAD ABOUT IT!

So, just how cold does it get in February or March time?
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                            X