• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars Rovers: Still Trucking...

Find this article at:

Mars rovers keep exploring Red Planet
    Twin robots mark second anniversary

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The warranty expired long ago on NASA's twin robots motoring around Mars.

In two years, they have traveled a total of seven miles. Not impressed? Try keeping your car running in a climate where the average temperature is well below zero and where dust devils can reach 100 mph.

These two golf cart-sized vehicles were only expected to last three months.

"These rovers are living on borrowed time. We're so past warranty on them," says Steven Squyres of Cornell University, the Mars mission's principal researcher. "You try to push them hard every day because we're living day to day."

The rover Spirit landed on Mars on January 3, 2004, and Opportunity followed on January 24. Since then, they've set all sorts of records and succeeded in the mission's main assignment: finding geologic evidence that water once flowed on Mars.

Part of the reason for their long survival is pure luck. Their lives were extended several times by dust devils that blew away dust that covered their solar panels, restoring their ability to generate electricity.

Like most Earth-bound vehicles, these identical robots have their own personalities.

The overachieving Opportunity dazzled scientists from the start. It eclipsed its twin by making the mission's first profound discovery -- evidence of water at or near the surface eons ago that could have implications for life.

The rock-climbing Spirit went down in the history books by becoming the first robot to scale an extraterrestrial hill.

Last summer, it completed a daredevil climb to the summit of Husband Hill -- as tall as the Statue of Liberty -- despite fears that it might not survive the weather.

The rovers haven't been all get-up and go -- technical hiccups have at times limited their activity, even from the start. At one point, Spirit had a balky front wheel, but engineers overcame the problem by driving it in reverse.

Last spring, Opportunity got stuck hub-deep in sand while trying to crest a foot-high dune, and was freed after weeks of effort by the Earth-bound engineers.

Signs of aging
    The six-wheeled travelers, managed by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, also are showing signs of aging. In November, a motor on Opportunity's robotic arm stalled and the arm failed to extend while it was surveying a rock outcrop. The engineers fixed that problem after two weeks.

This mission is the first time any probe has extensively rolled across Mars, whose rocky landscape is a dangerous place for man-made objects to settle and roam.

There have been four previous Mars landings that succeeded. Of those, NASA's stationary Viking 1 lander operated the longest, from 1976 to 1982. NASA's Sojourner was the first rover, but it stayed close to its Pathfinder lander.

Spirit and Opportunity parachuted to opposite ends of Mars. Spirit landed in Gusev Crater, a 90-mile-wide depression south of the Martian equator.

Opportunity followed three weeks later, touching down on Meridiani Planum on the other side of the planet.

In two years, Spirit has traveled over three miles and beamed back 70,000 images including self-portraits and panoramas of the rust-colored planet's surface. Opportunity has driven over four miles and transmitted more than 58,000 images.

Three times NASA has extended the rovers' mission, spending an extra $84 million on top of the $820 million original price tag.

While both rovers have discovered clues of ancient water, they also have found evidence of a violent past that might have prevented some life forms from emerging.

Piecing together a definitive history of Mars is far from over, scientists say, as the rovers head to their next destinations to explore more rocks and minerals.

Spirit recently descended Husband Hill and is driving toward a basin that holds geologic promise.

Opportunity is rolling to an enormous depression known as Victoria Crater that is thought to hold more clues about the planet's past.

"Rock layers are the barcode of Mars history," said John Grotzinger, a science team member from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

"Every time we encounter new layers, it's another piece of the puzzle."
    And yet another article on the Mars rovers. Yes, the little suckers are still there, still exploring, still making discoveries on Mars. Go NASA.

Bah! They won't last another month!

Monkey!!!

Comment

Great stuff.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Waiting for DanS to explain why all of this was better done by private corporations...
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

Private Corporations would probably know why they are still running....

or at least have offered an extended warrenty package
          Monkey!!!

Comment

I can't wait till they send a bigger version of these rovers to mars. The next one should be about the size of a VW bug I understand.

Comment

Truly amazing the amount of data and insight we've gotten from these rovers.

And they don't even mention the time when Spirit kept rebooting itself for weeks on end, and the engineers scrambled to make contact and upload new software to it..

There's great promise in this for the future of robotic exploration.

Comment

This is impressive stuff.

However, to put this into perspective, the amount of ground covered by these rovers is in the single digit miles, even after 2 full years of work.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

To put THAT in perspective, remember that they're ON FRICKIN' MARS. Given the failure rate of missions sent to Mars... I'd say they've done very well with this one.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

No doubt, but I think people may imagine the rovers trucking all over Hell's Half Acre.

I'm not dissing the rovers. Merely putting the challenges and inherent limitations of robotics of this type (small, solar powered rovers) in perspective.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Still...it is an amazing feat. These two little robots have been well worth NASA's investment in time and money. I would imagine that they have also provided invaluable data on what it takes for a machine to survive in that type climate as well.

Go Spirit and Opportunity!!!
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

given that much of the success of these solar rovers is attributed to random dust devils periodically cleaning the dust off of the solar panels I hope they take care to put some sort of 'panel wipers' on any future solar powered rovers sent to dusty places.

Comment

7.54 miles between the two of them, with time to stop and grind some rocks.

Comment

Its cool stuff - and unlike our poor (too cheap)effort recently, shows the way it should and can be done. I think we tend to think Mars is pretty near - i blame games like SMAC . But it gets crazy when you have to think about the communications delay from earth to Mars. Space is big, even near space!

The Viking probes were cool too!
                            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

these robots will be the death of us
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X