Mine Disaster in West Virginia 1-2-2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude... that's just wrong.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ouch.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Damn, that sucks.

Comment

What a cruel turn of events.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

That's horrible.

I worked six months in a mine and i had to get out. Takes a special kind of person to do that kind of work AFAIC.
            What?

Comment

The fingerpointing is interesting.

Mine officials say a misstatement was made during a cell phone call, which was intercepted and misinterpreted by someone who then passed the "good news" onto the families.

But a family member says that CEO of the mine made the announcement and said he'd be back in a hour with the rescued miners. Three hours later, the families were told that the 12 were not alive but dead.

Another family member is furious because no one from the mining company has yet apologized for the false news.

Comment

This is horrible. What an emotional roller coaster for the families. my condolences.

I know I've never been in this situation, so maybe I shouldn't say anything (but you know I will). I am dismayed they are already talking about sueing for millions of dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  I am dismayed they are already talking about sueing for millions of dollars.
                  Of course they are; now that it is no longer a miracle from God, they don't have a chance at getting on Oprah. Think of the emotional trauma.

Comment

I saw a headline about multiple safety violations at the mine. Maybe management was negligent about safety? If so, there may just be a smigeon of justification for a suit.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

but we still don't know the cause of the disaster...

Comment

Oh, I generally agree with you: "lawsuits already? "

We'll see.

-Arrian

Comment

Obviously the safety violations are a concern. And the company should pay. You'd think the mining companies would know better by now. *sigh*. They should pay for everything.
                          But it would be nice if the loved ones could wait till after the funerals to say these things.

Comment

Well, people who just lost their loved ones are not necessarily at their best, you know? And, of course, the media is waiting patiently to print anything that sounds juicy.

-Arrian

Comment

Apparently that mine was doing a good impersonation of a Chinese mine as far as its safety record was concerned...

The guy who survived will probably have to move town too.
                              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I don't know what really happened, but if you read between the lines you can imagine the rescuers found the miners alive behind the CO barrier they had built. Then they took town the barrier to get them out, and the CO sipped in and killed them.
                                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                                X