I need better poker skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need better poker skills

I have played in 3 or 4 games with real money (5, 10, 20, or 50 dollar buy ins)

from what I remember I have won 20 (on a 5 dollar buy in?)

and lost 20

and lost 50

(don't remember the 4th game)

so I need some more skills, I ahve gotten better sin ceI lost 50 (in two hands), but still not good enough

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Re: I need better poker skills

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    (don't remember the 4th game)
    You need to stop drinking.

Comment

I need better poker skills

No you don't, nobody does.

Comment

my freinds like playing poker though

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm sure they especially like playing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
            I'm sure they especially like playing with you.
            "im aalallll in! you suck~~~
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Playing is the best way to learn, but you shouldn't pay through your nose while doing it. Smaller buy-ins, perhaps? What sort of venue do you play at, home games, online? You should also keep close track of how your tournaments have gone and try to analyse your play and what went wrong. Was it bad luck or reckless play, or an incorrect read on the situation?
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Stop drinking when you play. Also, stick to playing only the top 10 starting hands and unraised big blind hands. That should be enough to help you win small amounts, and develop a "tight" image, which will benefit you later on.

Then, buy Doyle Brunson's "Super System" - a great investment.
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

he who gambles lives in shambles
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Jon, remember this German piece of wisdom:

Lehrjahre sind keine Herrenjahre.

It means you will always be poor as a student. Now go ahead.
                    Last edited by Ecthy; January 1, 2006, 19:10.

Comment

Poker isn't gambling. It is primarily mathematics and psychology.
                      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                        Stop drinking when you play. Also, stick to playing only the top 10 starting hands and unraised big blind hands. That should be enough to help you win small amounts, and develop a "tight" image, which will benefit you later on.

Gotta disagree here. Super System is great, but definitely not what you wanna start with. The most important book to read is Sklansky's Theory of Poker. It's pretty long though. I'd recommend you start by playing limit poker and picking up Lee Jones' book. Helmuth's book is also great for beginners.

Comment

Were these no-limit or limit games?
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I recommend just playing lot's - keep playing with your friends, but in your spare time read up on everything you can and practice playing online or with other friends/family for free/m&ms. That's how I learnt!
                            "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                            Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd

Do what this man says.

Trust me, most of the games I've played in, I just sit tight and don't even play unless I'm at A-A or suited A-honor for maybe the first 20 or so hands (excepting blinds). After that, the rest of the players are adequately drunk, and also believe me to be a rock-solid tight player. Then I start playing a bit ... and winning
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X