Best wine with a screw off top EVER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wine with a screw off top EVER!

I just finished a bottle of Kim Crawford 2005 Sauvignon Blanc grown in the Marlborough region of New Zealand. It is dam good wine. I must admit I saw that it had a screw off top instead of a cork and I instantly thought it was worthless garbage, however, the salesman convinced me to give it a try and I am not sorry. It seems many wines in New Zealand come with screw off tops (the kiss of death or atleast the sign of a **** wine in the rest of the world) because cork trees will not grow in New Zealand.

I guess you learn something new every day.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Aren't you supposed to croon only over domestic alcoholic products?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

No. Next question.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

from several reputable sources, i've heard that cork is being phased out, because it has several flaws, and screw off tops have none.
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

What about those rubber corks? Those seem like a decent middleground.
          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Screw tops are apparently superior. With 5-10% of the world's wine being 'corked' (inflicted with a bacteria that often resides in cork); screw tops effectively reduce that number to %0. A more conserative approach to such problem is the synthetic cork. Though oddly enough, I've repeatedly been told by someliers that synthetic corks won't entirely reduce the chances of a corked bottle. Kind of seems odd that bacteria can reside within a synthesized material?

In relatively wine "savvy" cultures.. the cork won't all too soon be 'phased out' (let alone inched aside). Old World regions are a little too attached to the tradition and romance of the cork to give way to pure functionality [Though one arguable function con to the screw cap would be its lack of breathability for vintage aging?]

I don't even think synthetic corks have had much popular support in Europe - let alone a cap system that would remove that 'enchanting' corkscrew opening entirely

In any case.. it probably has more a place in the new world, for now. Your average American/Aussie/Canadian consumer, server, wine cashier (so forth) wouldn't be able to tell a corked bottle even after drinking the entire thing. Having grown up on wine, and not always drinking it simply to get drunk.. those savvy Euros can damn well sniff the corked ones out the minute the top pops, right? They don't need no stinking screw cap

Comment

I'm not a fan of the screw top wines(not having had a good one yet - but i'll check Oerdins recomendation ), in fact i dont much like the synthetic corks either. Its probably just because it s a traditional thing?
              I keep a real cork handy, and it takes over from any screw-top/synthetic cork once the bottles open. I've been using it(the same one as its a nice one) for around 19 months so far - no nasty side reactions to any bacteria either

At the momment i like a 'fair trade' red from chile and an organic red from Italy - both around £5 a bottle, both come with the synthetic type cork.

If i want a white i like the Aussie ones best, but i'm not a wine snob and as long as it hits the spot without carving my lungs out, and isnt stupid expensive - then i'll call it a good wine
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I heard there is a movement to plastic bottles as well.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Both screw tops and synthetic corks

are superior to natural corks. The synthetic corks I have seen appear to allow some small amount of air to pass through (like a natural cork). The problem for me is that all my old wines have natural corks and they tend to disintegrate when I try to open them. I just had a 61 Bonnes Mare, but had to throw away the first pour because the cork disintegrated and left bits at the top of the bottle when I opened it.
                  Last edited by pchang; January 3, 2006, 16:50.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

sometimes i like those bits of cork in my wine. But yeah it is annoying when that happens.
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Get used to it. Most cork comes from Portugal, and the explosion in wine sales has meant that there isn't enough quality cork to go around. American vintners, rather than risk the KoD of a screw top will either use inferior cork (reulting in much higher corkage rates--up to 10% of wine ends up being spoiled) or plastic "corks."

The screw top is far superior, but it carries the image of vin d'Thunderbird.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                        Dunno how well that would sell, plastic looks tackier than even box wine.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                          IIRC several years ago I read about wine coming in aluminum cans just like beer in UK.

Have anybody seen those?
                          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Yep, was really cheap stuff.

And you know how beer tastes worse out of cans than bottles, same is true with wine.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

wine out of a can is just the lowest of the low.

and synthetic corks make bottles a real pain in the arse to open.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X