What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do?

So I need a working car (I won't go into details, but I should be able to travel 200 miles without worrying that it will break down)

and my car doesn't currently work

so anyways, I got my car (1994 Hyundai Excel) 2 years ago, I spent $500

since that time, I have spent a lot on parking tickets, have bought 2 tires, have changed the oil a few times (when it needed it), have replaced the belts, and have replaced the lights...

now my cars alternator is broken, and the battery is pretty bad off (I used a voltmeter and looked at it, so I know that the alternator is broken)

now according to the place I went to for the belts (and oil changes, and one of the tires) it will cost ~410 to replace the alternator

that is sort of more than I would wish to spend, since I payed (2 years ago) only $500

also, there is a load screeching, which I thought was the belts, initially.. it lasts for a couple minutes...

also, and this is the most worrying, sometimes the gears don't change properly (into the highest gear.. 4th?) and I have to switch it to neutral and put it back into drive to get it to switch (the car is an automatic)

this is scary on the freeway.. (I am accelerating out onto the freeway, suddenly the RPM just gets higher and higher, but the speed doesn't change much...)

so what should I do?

Jon Miller
    Buy a new car
    66.67%
    Send it to the shop
    0.00%
    Buy a cheap alternator and do it myself.. (But how.. )
    11.11%
    Buy a used car (But I don't know anything about cars..)
    22.22%
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

umm, by 200 miles I mean 200 miles both ways and do that often

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Ewww... buy a used car.

The screeching is probably from the alternator, not the belts. Yes, belts do screech sometimes, but if you've changed them, and the screeching continues, it wasn't the belts. As you've already determined that the alternator isn't up to snuff, I would say that the bearing in the alternator are starting to go bad. The alternator has to go. It should be a simple job but I know some makers design it so the average joe can't fix it (ie: the engine needs to be removed to get at the alternator...).

The shifting thing is the real worry. Not sure what's wrong, but it doesn't sound too good. Go buy a used car (new cars are one of the biggest wastes of money on the planet).
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Rent a likely candidate from a used rental place.

Take it to a dealer for that model and say you are interested in an extended warranty. They will charge you a small fee for an inspection and they will tell you everything that could possibly be wrong with it.

Ask the mechanic what he thinks the vehicle is worth. Go back to the rental place/dealer and tell them you will give them 100 or 200 less than the mechanic said it is worth.

You will know precisely what the vehicle is worth, and you will probably get it for what you offer.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Before anything else, start paying attention to how, where, and when you park. If you spend as much as you've implied, you'll start saving a lot more cash for your car which would go towards getting another used car.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

but I don't know anything about cars?

I know my alternator is bad

somewhat by using a voltmeter on the leads while the engine was running

but also by the experience of losing all power at a stop light at 5 am while I was on the way to a meeting 200 miles away last week...

JM
            (luckily I was just a mile from home..)
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
              Before anything else, start paying attention to how, where, and when you park. If you spend as much as you've implied, you'll start saving a lot more cash for your car which would go towards getting another used car.
              I haven't gotten a parking ticket for a while..

but parking at the wrong spot on campus can give you tickets higher than $70

and sometimes I was running late, and had to park close instead of heading to the pay lot all the way accross campus (I never parked in handicap zones tohugh)

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

one thing is that a new Hyundai costs about as much as a ~4 year old standard Ford or Toyota

and I think that Hyundai's are decent cars...

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

They are now, dunno about back in '94.
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

yeah, that is why I am considering a new one

(and because good used ones cost the same..)

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

looking at nearby hyundai dealers, I don't see anything better than 12k or so for a hyundai accent (2005)

(I haven't talked to anyone, jus tperused their websites)

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

(Good used cars are generally ford or chevy or something, and cost ~8k or more)

JM
                        (good as in ones that shouldn't have any troubles for a few years)
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

(what is it with you speaking in brackets?)

Comment

Really? Ford or Chevy? Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans (although the latter is a bit worse IMHO) serve as the best used cars in my experience.
                            Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

If you're going to pay 8Ks for a used car get a Toyota Tercel. Not very comfortable but reliable - if you make your oil changes.
                              As for the alternator, if you decide to keep the car you shoud change it yourself. It's really easy to do. Just remember to not adjust it as tight as you can.
                              What?

Comment

Working...
                              X