Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about mobo with internal IDE HD's and SATA HD's

I've got an Asus A8V Deluxe with an Athlon 64 3500+

Currently, I have two internal IDE hard drives: a Western Digital 250GB and a Maxtor 160GB drive.

I am running low on drive space and I've deleted just about all I can delete, backed up all I can back up. I need a new drive.

So I'm thinking of getting a SATA drive... probably a Hitachi 250GB SATA-300 drive or a Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB SATA drive.

The question I have is, will my mobo allow me to run the internal IDE drives AND add on the SATA drives?

I've read through my mobo manual and searched the Asus website and their forums. I cannot find the answer to this. I've never had a SATA drive before, so I don't know how they run with internal IDE drives, if they can run with them at all.

This is probably a dumb question, but I just have never had a need to find the answer before and I just cannot find the answer, so I pitch the question to Poly.

Thanks in advance!
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Well, I had a SATA drive and a good old parallel ATA drive in the same system, both internal, and they worked together like nothing, so there should not be an issue as long as the motherboard supports SATA drives. It's just like any other hard drive. (Speaking in the past tense because the SATA drive crashed and I'm waiting for a replacement. )
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

RIP
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I have the Asus K8V Deluxe (Athlon board), it supports both types of drives simultaneously just fine.

I found getting the system to recognize the new SATA drive problematic, but it was an XP problem and Asher figured it out for me.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

sweet

I ended up buying this drive

Western Digital 250GB SATA-150

problem is, if you notice, the list price is $104.99

well, on my receipt, they charged me $119.99

It's the same exact item number... SKU is exactly the same and everything.

and there's no rebate or anything... that's the list price

So I guess I better not open it. I have to go back there tomorrow and get this straightened out.

****ers are trying to screw me out of $15

WTF!?!?!?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Anyone else read SATA HD's as Santa Hats?
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

if I still had the digital camera here, I'd take a picture of the hard drive with a santa hat on it
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You can run SATA and PATA/IDE at the same time, I do it on my Asus K8V Deluxe. If anything it may be a bit faster -- I've got 3 different harddrive controllers (Promise SATA, Via SATA, Via IDE), so inter-harddrive transfers are very speedy. They're not sharing anything.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

sweet

it's going to suck initially because I have a little over 100GB worth of stuff I am going to transfer to the new drive after I get it installed...

AFTER I GET MY $15 BACK
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                  X