Texas Gov. Declares Grass Fires a Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Gov. Declares Grass Fires a Disaster

Texas is in worst drought since the 50's.
    Books are written about those times. Notably, The Time It Never Rained by Elmer Kelton

By MATT CURRY, Associated Press Writer
    4 minutes ago

KENNEDALE, Texas - Dozens of grass fires burned across an unusually warm and windy Texas on Tuesday, destroying homes, forcing evacuations, and prompting Gov. Rick Perry to deploy state firefighters and issue a disaster declaration. In Oklahoma, the fires also damaged several homes and three people suffered minor injuries, authorities said.

Perry's office said 73 fires were being fought around the state as of Monday, mostly in North and Central Texas. His office didn't have an updated number Tuesday because the situation is "in flux." There were no immediate reports of injuries or deaths.

"To better ensure our ability to immediately respond to these fast-moving fires, I have ordered the deployment of Texas Army National Guard assets and requested assistance from the U.S. Forest Service," Perry said in a statement.

One of the largest fires was in Kennedale, a bedroom community of about 6,100 people just south of Fort Worth. Large plumes of white smoke rose above the town. Television footage showed homes damaged, outbuildings in flames and residents spraying hoses and dumping buckets of water at the fire.

Fort Worth Fire Department Lt. Kent Worley said the department was helping battle the blaze in Kennedale, which jumped U.S. Highway 287 and prompted officials to temporarily shut it down.

In Arlington, fires threatened new housing developments and apartment complexes. Strong winds were the biggest obstacle for about 20 firefighters trying to contain the blaze, Deputy Fire Marshal Keith Ebel said.

"It's like trying to stop a 30-mile-per-hour car coming down the street," Ebel said. "The wind is the worst enemy right now."

Ebel said officials have expected wild fires because Texas has suffered through such a dry year.

"It was a matter of time this was going to happen," Ebel said. "By no means are we out of the woods. This fire's just occurred in one small area of town. We have a whole lot of other areas."

In Hood County, southwest of Fort Worth and Tarrant County, a fire near Canyon Creek forced at least 100 people to evacuate, said Jerry Lind, chief deputy for the Hood County Sheriff's Office. He said several structures were on fire, and propane tanks have exploded.

North Texas was under a
    National Weather Service "red flag warning," meaning unusually warm and windy conditions could cause blazes to spread rapidly. The warning was issued because of strong winds, low humidity and extremely dry conditions.

"We've got fires burning structures in several counties," said Tracy Weaver of the Texas Forest Service. "It is just critically, critically dry out there right now."

Cities where fires were reported included Colleyville, Boyd, Joshua and Denton. Blazes were also reported in counties including Parker, Hood and Tarrant.

Perry's office said the wildfire threat level is expected to remain high for the next 30 days. According to the governor's office, 114 fires in 39 counties have burned 10,000 acres in Texas during December.

Perry's disaster declaration activates the state emergency management plan and authorizes the deployment of any forces, equipment or supplies required for the response.

The governor deployed four Texas Army National Guard helicopters, and obtained two air tankers and two helicopters from the U.S. Forest Service.

In Oklahoma, TV station helicopter footage showed at least a half-dozen structures were burned in Mustang, but conditions appeared to improve by late afternoon, when fire crews brought the flames under control.

"We've still got some hot spots that we're concerned about," Mustang Police Chief Monte James said.

He said firefighters battled flames at four houses and sheds. One firefighter was being treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation.

After the flames passed, residents emerged and were "watering their yards and standing in their yards," said Harold Percival, who lives about a mile from the Mustang fire.

A mobile home sits completely engulfed in flames in South Arlington, Texas, Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2005. Grass fires driven by gusty wind damaged several homes in Oklahoma and threatened others in North Texas on Tuesday.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

That does it! We need to let the logging companies cut down all the trees!

Oh wait! Grass fires?

uhmm...

okay I got nothing
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

We need to let hoards of Mexican gardeners across the border to attack the problem with their weed wackers at 7 o'clock in the morning when we're trying to sleep late.

Comment

I don't think you understand.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Sorry, that was insensative. This looks like a disaster like the ones facing San Diego and eastern Australia awhile back.

Comment

Indeed, forest fires aren't the only kind of dangerous fires in nature...

Hope you and the other Texan-tubbies are no where near that **** Sloww.
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              Sorry, that was insensative.
              The more I think about it, the more I am offended by my first comment. For my smart-azz comment, I hereby ban myself for 24 hours.

Comment

No, it's cool.

Right now it's between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Hitting small cities, headed for gasoline storage in one location.
                With each explosion, the fire pattern changes.
                That's bad enough.
                If the wind shifts easterly, Ft. Worth is in danger. If it shifts from west, Dallas is at risk. Dallas and Ft. Worth are only about 30 miles apart, with suburbs between the 2.

In fact, this fire that just started is suspected to have been caused by this.

Firefighters fight three-alarm downtown fire

WFAA-TV
                A call for a three-alarm fire in a downtown building came around 6:00 p.m.

Governor Rick Perry issued a disaster declaration as more than 70 wildfires blazed around Texas. Wildfires erupted across North Texas Tuesday afternoon as unseasonably high temperatures combined with low humidity and gusty winds to create conditions ripe for fast-moving fires. However, one fire broke out in downtown away from grassy areas. The call for the three-alarm fire burning in a building at Elm and Akard streets came in around 6:00 p.m. The building was undergoing loft renovations and is scheduled to eventually house 68 lofts. Witnesses said the fire appears to be coming from the back of the building and firefighters said they believe it started in the elevator shaft. No people were reported in the building.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

The more I think about it, the more I am offended by my first comment. For my smart-azz comment, I hereby ban myself for 24 hours.

oh come on

if you can't joke about mexican gardeners coming to save texas from grass fires, THEN LIFE JUST ISN'T WORTH LIVING!!
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Grass fires:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Grass fires:

Damn, beat me to it.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Hope nobody has gotten hurt yet.

Let's also hope someone other than FEMA shows up.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

But FEMA does awesome jobs.

If a disaster ever happens, who ya gonna call?

FEMA!!!!!

Comment

Re: Texas Gov. Declares Grass Fires a Disaster

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Books are written about those times. Notably, The Time It Never Rained by Elmer Kelton
                            Is that a BBQ/oven in the foreground?
                            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Re: Texas Gov. Declares Grass Fires a Disaster

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Ah yes, The Great Texas Pvssy Drought of the 1950's. Tough times.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X