Canada is a free country now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    If Alberta wants to ban swinger clubs then they should feel free to.

Leave us out of it.
    A quick search mentions such a club in calgary but my workplace filters won't let me at any of the sites that talk about it so I don't know how it compares to the Quebec clubs
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Absolutely. In fact, I haven't heard anything about it since the initial ruling except from you. Not on the talk radios, not on the news, not even in idle chatter with people.
      It doesn't seem to have captured people's attention much from what I can tell. Apparently the Quebec media shrugged. Whether this will change once people get back from the holiday stupor, time will tell.

I just can't get past the idea that I do not see the people engaging in such activities as criminals. Adults having sex with multiple other adults. The result if the swinger club is a "bawdy house" is that everyone inside the institution would be subject to charges since it is a criminal offense to found inside a bawdy house without lawful excuse.

Since this is a business, it can be licenced either provincially or municipally and can be regulated somewhat harshly if the regulator so chooses-- although attempts to make the club itself illegal would likely be invalid as the province cannot make criminal law.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• ok

so the members pay to be members..

what stops him from paying certain members (women mainly) to facilitate the gathering or to 'manage' the gathering

really this is no different then a house of prostitution

if those are legal in canada, fine...

if not, then this should not be either

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither You have sex outside of a private residence, you go to jail.

You should really get someone to blow you while you're driving. Release some of that sexual tension.
          What?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
            what stops him from paying certain members (women mainly) to facilitate the gathering or to 'manage' the gathering
            That would make it prostitution. The law stops him from doing that.
            What?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

It doesn't seem to have captured people's attention much from what I can tell. Apparently the Quebec media shrugged. Whether this will change once people get back from the holiday stupor, time will tell.
              On local CTV 6:00 news, it was the headline story, and they spent time talking about it and asking people on the street what they thought. I think they showed a poll that showed overwhelming support of the decision.
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

ok

JM
                Prostitution is legal in Canada but a number of things around prostitutionare not.

The bawdy house definion refers to an institution commonly resorted to for prostitution or indecent acts. If prostitution was occurring those folks would be convicted. he decision was about defining an "indecent act"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ninot

On local CTV 6:00 news, it was the headline story, and they spent time talking about it and asking people on the street what they thought. I think they showed a poll that showed overwhelming support of the decision.
                  No suprise. I saw that pretty much every media outlet had it as a story once. I am just wondering if there will be any "citizens outraged" type stories

Comment

ok

JM
                    With this club, my understanding is that paying the fee does not guarantee that anyone will necessarily have sex with you since it is all voluntary. I believe all that is guaranteed is the opportunity to meet like-minded people.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither You think ordinary people are going to ignore it and let it rest? For any of the leaders?

Let's see how it plays out. I would not be surprised by a few surprises.
                      I could be surprised but so far I have discussed this with about 20 different 30-something professionals here in Calgary. Not one of them seemed concerned. A couple of people thought the idea of multiple partners was "disgusting" but had no problem with a commercial establishment that catered to them. It seems as long as this is kept to a private club, people don't see an issue (* As a point of interest 5 of these individuals are vehemently against gay marriage and two of them are complete homophobes -- all but two were married)

Very unscientific but I don't think you will get the mainstram voter caring too much about this.

Lets change the scenario a little. Lets imagine that the group instead went to a specific bar in a specific hotel. All had to be members to defray the cost of hotel rooms and the organizer makes a profit. After a drink or two the group would head up to their rooms and pair/group off as they wish. I can't think of ANY law they would be breaking.

Switch it to a private club with a doorman so that passersby can't inadvertently even hear the offensive conversation. Add tghat the only place sex happens is a locked room that you would need to be conscious of entering since you have to push a doorcode. More offensive or less??

Comment

• Quebec should secede. Canada is obviously in need of an annexation.

Comment

• It hasn't been an issue with my contacts either and I'm in that part of Ontario NYE is hoping will be outraged by this. We aren't. Most people I've spoken too haven't heard of the decision and are not bothered when told of it.

95% of the debate I've heard on the topic has been right here - and that by predominently one poster. If the Conservatives try to make this an election issue they will deserve the loss they have coming anyway.

Edit - The local paper has one short letter to the editor opposed to the decision. Written by a religious fundy decrying the onset of end times....
                          Last edited by Wezil; December 29, 2005, 13:09.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
                            It hasn't been an issue with my contacts either and I'm in that part of Ontario NYE is hoping will be outraged by this. We aren't. Most people I've spoken too haven't heard of the decision and are not bothered when told of it.

95% of the debate I've heard on the topic has been right here - and that by predominently one poster. If the Conservatives try to make this an election issue they will deserve the loss they have coming anyway.

Edit - The local paper has one short letter to the editor opposed to the decision. Written by a religious fundy decrying the onset of end times....
                            I checked and the Calgary Sun did an article on swinging a while back indicating that there are FOUR swingers clubs in Calgary, but the write up did not mention any on-site sex so that probably is not part of what goes on.

Does any outrage boil down to the fact that sex may be on-site? I would think that it would have to since people meeting up to potentially have sex elsewhere is a description of pretty much every bar in existence.

IN any event I had no idea these clubs existed in Calgary so they aren't exactly high profile type things

Comment

• it is the onsite nature of it

the rest is fine

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• but note, despite my wishes I am not canadian...

so my thinking has no real meaning

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X