Making a household budget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a household budget.

I'm sorry to admit it but I have almost managed to live three decades without ever creating a household budget beyond rough estimates in my head. One of my New Year's resolutions is to better manage my money so I am now going to make a househould budget. What sort of catagories do people include beyond the obvious house payment X amount, car payment Y amount? I'd like to make it as detailed as possible in order to be as accurate as possible.

Based upon my budget I'll be making decisions about where to cut unnecissary expenses and figure out areas where I should be spending more. First I need a good template in order to build my budget. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Dinner; December 26, 2005, 20:00.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

To keep this short:

First thing, pay yourself. Put a minimum of 5% into savings.
    Decide how much you'll spend on housing. 1/4 - 1/3 of your net.
    Estimate your utilities, unless you know them.
    These are essentials before food, then transportation.

Rest up to you.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I don't beleive in savings (at least not currently)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Making a household budget.

Originally posted by Oerdin
        areas where I should be spending more.
        There is no such thing
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Well, increase payments on certain bills over others is what I meant.

Comment

Download a free Personal Budget Spreadsheet template for Excel and or Google Sheets. Easily organize your personal home finances. Create a yearly budget plan.

If you have home, or even automobile, make a 2nd payment noting that it's to be applied against principle.
            Still would lean to it going into savings. One of those decisions you'll have to make.

and DO save.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Currently I'm spending every cent. I'd like to change that thus the New Year's resolution.
              Last edited by Dinner; December 26, 2005, 21:32.

Comment

Well, I'm downloading the free 90 day trial version of MS Money. Here's hoping I can figure it out without documentation.

If I like it then I'll buy the full version and set up automatic billpay so that I don't have to bother with checks any more.

Comment

Food, clothes and going out are a couple of categories in my 'household' budget.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

The average household outgoings are probably around 10 different bills. Why would you need a spreadsheet to add up 10 figures?

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                      The average household outgoings are probably around 10 different bills. Why would you need a spreadsheet to add up 10 figures?
                      ten seems low to me but if i used a spreadsheet it wiouldn't be for the adding feature -- it would be for the recordkeeping-- Just writing stuff down and keeping a record has a purpose
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Broad categories

Car-- payment, insurance, gas/oil, maintenance
                        House-- payment/rent, insurance, heat, electric, Tv, phone, water,

Food
                        Clothes
                        Entertainment
                        Any other regular expense
                        Miscellaneous
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Budgets should help you make better decisions about your spending, but keeping one has never helped me make a better decision. I kept one for about 6 months once, but I didn't seem to need it, so I stopped.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Flubber,

How would recording it help? It is what it is.

Reds

Comment

OK, I downloaded MS Money then had it download the info from my checking account, savings account, IRA, and credit card account. It automatically showed me what I'm spending my money on, what I'm not spending my money on, and where I should be spending my money.

I compared all of my previous payments over the last three months and by comparing it to my past spending I noticed that I'm spending way to much on the wrong things. In the last month I've spent $487 on "groceries" (which mostly means booze), an additional $208 on "entertainment" (meaning trips to the pub and two movies tickets), and almost $450 on dinning out. I need to drink less or find cheaper beer.

It looks like I will be packing a lunch each day from now on and I'm going to confine boozing to one night per week along with 2 nights per month of going downtown. I could easily save $600 per month doing that. After I looked at my past spending patterns MS Money helped me design a budget which looks realistic to me. The problem is after adding in things like saving (I put 5% of gross income since I couldn't swing 10% even after cutting corners), creating an emergency fund, and making full IRA payments I found I was around $380 per month below what I need to be making.

I thought I was sitting fairly well or at least average but Money seems to think I need to majorly cut spending and increase income. I should get a decent raise at the end of March but now I'm thinking about getting a part time job for the weekends. The other option would be to get a live in girlfriend to help cut expenses with.
                              Last edited by Dinner; December 27, 2005, 07:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X