IRAQ: Predict the Future (TM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRAQ: Predict the Future (TM)

Seeing as after almost three years the pro war people on Poly have been proved almost entirely wrong to a man (in fact, has there been a single thing they were right about? ), it's time to gaze into our crystal balls again and predict the future of Iraq. Or in the case of the anti war people, use our common sense...

With the way the elections are going, it seems like only a matter of time before the pro Iranian Islamists gain an upper hand in Iraq govt. As the increasingly Shi'ite dominated security forces strengthen, the Sunni insurgency will become increasingly marginalised reduced to fighting more or less a 'civil war' against the Iraqi state as Sunni power increasingly ebbs away.

As for the Kurds, I think they're happy with their de facto independent state in the north as long as there's no interference from the rest of the country why should they interfere with the dealings of the south. By not trying to secede, they should be able to avoid any problems from Turkey.

And at the end of the day the pro Iranian south will probably sell their oil to the Chinese just to spite the US...

Just guessing mind you, but strengthening your enemy and losing access to much of one of the world's largest oil reserves seems a pretty poor return on thousands of dead and injured soldiers and hundreds of billions of dollars spent...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

I think they'll all be home by Christmas.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

You wish you had that much stamina.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

We should ask Yoda about the future.
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Az

You wish you had that much stamina.
            Sounds more like masochism than stamina...

Comment

Only if you think that it's impossible for the US to come out victorious - which is completely silly.

Now I am not saying that the US will accomplish most of their goals in Iraq. I just think that it's quite in the realm possibility.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

IRAQ: Predict the Future (TM)

What future?
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                  Only if you think that it's impossible for the US to come out victorious - which is completely silly.
                  Well I grant you they've done rather well at the bomb the **** out of everything moving including civilians sort of victory, but if they leave an Iraqi State hostile to the US and allied to Iran, for example, then no matter how impressive their military victory was they will have failed. Abjectly.

Now I am not saying that the US will accomplish most of their goals in Iraq. I just think that it's quite in the realm possibility.
                  So which goals will the US accomplish then, apart from 'Regime Change', which they flatly claimed wasn't their objective in the first place and therefore wasn't one of their goals...

Even the fledgling democracy is playing straight into the hands of their opponents - the pen is mightier than the sword after all...

Comment

So which goals will the US accomplish then, apart from 'Regime Change', which they flatly claimed wasn't their objective in the first place and therefore wasn't one of their goals...

Even the fledgling democracy is playing straight into the hands of their opponents - the pen is mightier than the sword after all...

This is getting boring, quite rapidly - do you think that it's possible that the US will achieve their goals, yes or no?
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

The US will find Weapons of Mass Destruction!!!

Just not in Iraq.
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Stupid Poly timing out...

Comment

Originally posted by Az

This is getting boring, quite rapidly - do you think that it's possible that the US will achieve their goals, yes or no?
                          Yes it is, isn't it - because what you're obviously saying is that you have NO ANSWER to your assertions that:

You're the one who thinks it's possible that the US will achieve their goals - it's just that you're being very coy about saying how they'll do it...

Are you scared?

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                            The US will find Weapons of Mass Destruction!!!

Just not in Iraq.
                            Some dude in North Korea is jumping up and down boasting about his, but they just keep ignoring him for some reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Az

Care to elucidate what the **** "American goals" are? cause the only ones I can think of ARE pie in the sky over which the US has 0 control.

A vague ideological notion set in a far away future is not a "policy victory" in any realisitic sense of the word.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X