Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• credit cards and flights

Hey there.

It's time for me to change my credit cards. I wanted one of those that give me frequent flyer miles but when I applied years ago I didn't qualify. Ever since I've been cleaning up and building up my credit rating so I'm confident I have a chance now.

Anybody know where I can find a good credit card that also will bestow upon me frequent flyer miles?

Thanks!
    Who is Barinthus?

Go to an airline site, they'll likely have a link to a credit card that uses their specific rewards/miles program.

Comment

Hmm.

/me is strongly influenced by television

Try capital one They've been hunting me down for like six months now ... and my credit is $#%#$, implying they don't pay much attention to credit ratings and/or don't mind taking risks

Also, Delta has an AmEx card that some people find useful and 'prestigious' (not sure if it's an annual fee or not.)

Finally, there's good old bank one/chase. They have a couple of deals iirc. Really, it comes down to which airline you want to fly (sometimes the specific-airline cards will have better deals than the generic ones), and if you want that flexibility of a multi-airline card or the slightly better deals of a specific airline card. Also, consider how quickly they expire (many expire within a year, for example) and of course how many you get
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Thanks, JohnT - that's a good idea.

snoopy - Same as you, back then when my credit ratings was shot to hell and back Captial One was the only one who would accept me with only credit max of 250 and I had to go thru the humilation of paying $6 monthly member fee. It was either that or use one of those cards (forgot what those are called) in which I basically front up some cash which is used up as I 'charge' the card.

The expiration of mileage is a concern. That's why I was hoping you folks could help me cut down on my shopping around ha ha.
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Capital One is really one of the best plans out there. You buy your tickets using the Capital One card (thus, no black out dates or any other restrictions). Then, you cash out your points and Capital One takes the charge for the tickets off your bill. The number of points you need depends upon the price of the ticket.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

American Express.

Comment

doesn't American Express have member fees?
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the plane tickets yourself instead of buying a bunch of useless crap with your credit card?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the plane tickets yourself instead of buying a bunch of useless crap with your credit card?
                  You mean I didn't need that big TV and could have travelled just by buying a ticket
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

If I have cash in my pocket - it's gone. OTOH I have better self discipline regarding using credit cards so I find I save more money by using credit cards for my purchases such as gas and food. So why not use that to my advantage?
                    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                    X