We Are a Jewish and Christian Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are a Jewish and Christian Nation

That's what John Kasich, the former congressman from Ohio (who helped lead the push to a balanced budget a few years back) said tonight subbing for O'Reilly. Just think of the propaganda value for the whackos in the ME

But now the context (Kasich aint no fundie), which will be lost in translation, was a debate about religion and government and he was getting shredded by some geeky looking dude who danced circles around him armed with the Founders/Constitution and theology. I was busting a gut when the guest started lecturing Kasich on the 10 Commandments and how many versions there are and Kasich said he didnt want to get into a theological debate

(watch the replay at 11 est, its worth it)

I dont know why I'm laughing at the propaganda value this will have over there

Comment

Because you hate America?
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Hate is such a strong word, its hard to hate buffoonery

But I do dislike the 2 parties

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
          I dont know why I'm laughing at the propaganda value this will have over there
          @ you caring. They hate your guts already.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Certainly not Jewish by any strech of the imagination (how could the religion of under 4% of the population be seen as one of our defining ones?). As for Christian, well, the majority of people are Christians, but no single demonination has a majority and the State by law can;t pick sides with any of them.

So probably not.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
              Because you hate America?
              Everybody hates America these days. Doesn't it ever get old?

I think we should start hating Costa Rica instead. Or poodles.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                how could the religion of under 4% of the population be seen as one of our defining ones
                Haven't your heard?? Because they control Hollywood and because they have all the money.

Shelley Berman (as a kid): "Mom, I hear that we Jews have all the money. Well...where's our share??"

Comment

I'm remarkably poor for a member of the well-founded Evil Atheist Conspiracy.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Everybody hates America these days. Doesn't it ever get old?

I think we should start hating Costa Rica instead. Or poodles.
                    I could go for hating poodles.
                    What?

Comment

I think it is kind of funny that the Fundies have started adding in Jews instead of just the old Christian term. Hell, they used to go out of their way to make sure that everyone knew it was a Protestant nation and other Christian groups need not apply.

I guess even the right wingers are more open minded then they used to be.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                        (how could the religion of under 4% of the population be seen as one of our defining ones?)
                        Because (some) Congresmen say it is so, and they will make their vote stand out to have it so.

And then there is the populace who elect them because they say it is so.
                        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          I'm remarkably poor for a member of the well-founded Evil Atheist Conspiracy.
                          Well-founded? Does that mean you can do induction on it?

[/badmathjokethatnoonewillget]

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            I think it is kind of funny that the Fundies have started adding in Jews instead of just the old Christian term.
                            Fundies are jazzed that the Jews have re-created Israel, which is one of the last prophesies that is supposed occur before Christ returns.

Comment

Kasich meant the US was founded on Judeo-Christian ideas (the 10 Commandments blah blah blah), not that we are a Jewish-Christian country. He just got panicked when his "anti-God" guest was not only a Christian but an informed Christian. He found himself in a theological debate and armed only with ignorant cliches. I'd love to see someone respond to that nonsense by asking which of the 10 Commandments actually formed the basis for our government. Explain how we can have religious freedom if we are to worship only the God of Moses?

Az
                              @ you caring. They hate your guts already.
                              I do care, I dont want thousands (or millions) of Muslims flocking to prop up the Iraqi insurgents because they've become convinced we're on a Crusade. Most Muslims dont hate our guts, they may not like US policy (join the crowd) but they haven't taken up arms against us. That can still change... I'm surprised you're so shortsighted given where you live...

Comment

Working...
                              X